Old 12-06-2007, 01:03 AM
Tim Diggins

Default newbie help on installing java on etch /without/ x11

Hi list -

have recently started with debian etch (sort of know what I'm doing in
bsd, linux is a new adventure).

I want to install jdk (and tomcat) by the simplest means, but DON'T
want to install x11 stuff.

the standard etch package for jdk1.5 seems to require x11. Is there a
way to install this without installing x?
(there may be a generic apt/aptitutde answer, but it doesn't appear so
(there is a way to mark a BSD machine as not wanting x)

or do I have to go with the (pre-etch) two step install to do this?

any pointers (including pointers to generic apt no-x11 configuration
that I've missed - though I have search for it) very welcome

many thanks

Tim

Old 12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Anton Chernev

Tim Diggins wrote:

Hi list -

have recently started with debian etch (sort of know what I'm doing in
bsd, linux is a new adventure).

I want to install jdk (and tomcat) by the simplest means, but DON'T
want to install x11 stuff.

the standard etch package for jdk1.5 seems to require x11. Is there a
way to install this without installing x?
(there may be a generic apt/aptitutde answer, but it doesn't appear so
(there is a way to mark a BSD machine as not wanting x)

or do I have to go with the (pre-etch) two step install to do this?

any pointers (including pointers to generic apt no-x11 configuration
that I've missed - though I have search for it) very welcome

many thanks

Tim

Hi, Tim,
Most of the X11 packages that the JDK wants to install are
recommendations. You can use aptitude to find out which are required and
deselect everything else (at least this is what I did).

Best regards
Anton

Old 12-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Benjamin Mesing

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 15:37 +0200, Anton Chernev wrote:
> Most of the X11 packages that the JDK wants to install are
> recommendations. You can use aptitude to find out which are required
> and
> deselect everything else (at least this is what I did).

Or simply use "aptitude -R <package>".

Regards Ben

--
Please do not send any email to ben-ml@gmx.net -- all email not