Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Default Backup of an courier-imap mailarchive

Michelle Konzack wrote:
> My filesystem was created under Sarge and even Etch does not
> include this feature, unless you have installed a backport...
>
> Maybe I will reinitializer the filesystem...

Hi Michelle,

No need to rebuild, just tune your filesystem:

tune2fs -l $dev | grep features

tune2fs -O dir_index $dev

.. should be easy enough.

Regards,
Achim

--
Achim Dreyer || http://www.adreyer.com/
Senior Unix & Network Admin || RHCE, RHCA, CCNA, CCSA, CCSE, JNCIA-FW

Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Oliver Hitz

Hi Mike

On 26 May 2008, Mike Bird wrote:
> > This is already done but there are 4 "archive" user which hold over 90%
> > of the whole Mailstorage...
> We have a lot of daily rsyncs, one of them 360GB, and they only
> take a few minutes unless a lot has changed. Could this be an
> ext3 filesystem built long ago without dir_index?

The problem is not the size in terms of GB's, but the number of files.
I have the same problem here with a file system containing millions of
very small files. rsync takes ages, even with dir_index activated. Even
though I don't really like it, I found that using reiserfs made quite a
difference for me.

Regards

Oliver

Old 05-26-2008, 05:08 PM