Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Jogi Hofmüller

Default Multiple IP's (virtual interfaces) on ONE VLAN?

Hi,

* Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org> [2008-05-22 11:03]:

> 'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
> space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
> VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this week),
> everything should be ok.

You'll probably need to use vconfig [1]. That is if you have to
terminate an 802.1q tagged vlan trunk. We use it on our router here and
it works very well.

[1] Debiann package 'vlan'.

regards,
j.
--
Heimo Steps hat sich von seinen Waffen und dem Waffenschein getrennt,
weil die Partei es so wollte.

http://plagi.at/geruecht/

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Boris Pavlov

Turbo Fredriksson wrote:

Currently I have 'eth0' and 'eth0:0'.

'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this week),
everything should be ok.

But what about the intranet server which have TWO addresses? I've tried
'eth0:0.20', 'eth0.20:0' (for the virtual interface) but neither worked...

/sbin/vconfig set_name_type VLAN_PLUS_VID_NO_PAD
/sbin/vconfig add eth0 20

/sbin/ip address add 1.1.1.1/23 dev vlan20
/sbin/ip link set vlan20 up

---- i guess you're here. just try to add something like this, only the
two last rows:

/sbin/ip address add 2.1.1.1/23 dev vlan20:1
/sbin/ip link set vlan20:1 up

*this is if you've got tagged vlan port* and should work, not tested
actually.

if you do have untaged port in the vlan - just ignore the fact about the
vlan and carry on - it is just like plain ol' ethernet on your
(untagged) side.

edi.

Old 05-22-2008, 05:04 PM
Mike Bird

On Thu May 22 2008 02:02:30 Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> Currently I have 'eth0' and 'eth0:0'.
>
> 'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
> space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
> VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this
> week), everything should be ok.
>
> But what about the intranet server which have TWO addresses? I've tried
> 'eth0:0.20', 'eth0.20:0' (for the virtual interface) but neither worked...

Are you certain what they mean by VLAN's? One would normally
configure the VLAN onto the switch ports and the computers would
use normal non-VLAN connections. This is moderately more
secure than allowing each computer to decide which VLAN's it
wants to sniff.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, Mike Bird said:
> On Thu May 22 2008 02:02:30 Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > Currently I have 'eth0' and 'eth0:0'.
> >
> > 'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
> > space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
> > VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this
> > week), everything should be ok.
> >
> > But what about the intranet server which have TWO addresses? I've tried
> > 'eth0:0.20', 'eth0.20:0' (for the virtual interface) but neither worked...
>
> Are you certain what they mean by VLAN's? One would normally
> configure the VLAN onto the switch ports and the computers would
> use normal non-VLAN connections. This is moderately more
> secure than allowing each computer to decide which VLAN's it
> wants to sniff.

Well, that's just a switch configuration - tagged on VLAN n or untagged
on VLAN n. If they've decided to make the port tagged on VLAN n, then
the server needs to support VLAN tagging as well. Just because both the
switch and the server need to agree on the VLAN it's on doesn't mean
there are other tagged VLANs on the port.
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 05-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Mike Bird

On Thu May 22 2008 10:11:38 Stephen Gran wrote:
> This one time, at band camp, Mike Bird said:
> > On Thu May 22 2008 02:02:30 Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > > Currently I have 'eth0' and 'eth0:0'.
> > >
> > > 'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
> > > space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
> > > VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this
> > > week), everything should be ok.
> > >
> > > But what about the intranet server which have TWO addresses? I've tried
> > > 'eth0:0.20', 'eth0.20:0' (for the virtual interface) but neither
> > > worked...
> >
> > Are you certain what they mean by VLAN's? One would normally
> > configure the VLAN onto the switch ports and the computers would
> > use normal non-VLAN connections. This is moderately more
> > secure than allowing each computer to decide which VLAN's it
> > wants to sniff.
>
> Well, that's just a switch configuration - tagged on VLAN n or untagged
> on VLAN n. If they've decided to make the port tagged on VLAN n, then
> the server needs to support VLAN tagging as well. Just because both the
> switch and the server need to agree on the VLAN it's on doesn't mean
> there are other tagged VLANs on the port.

VLAN switch ports are much more common, and are usually handled
differently from Linux VLAN interfaces on home networks. Consider
this fragment from a Cisco switch configuration:

interface FastEthernet0/1
switchport mode trunk
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
!
interface FastEthernet0/3
!
interface FastEthernet0/4
switchport access vlan 4

Port f0/1 is a trunk port, which communicates via tagged packets. This
would normally connect to a router or another switch, although there are
situations where one would connect a VLAN-capable server to a trunk port.

Ports f0/2 and f0/3 are by default "in VLAN 1". They accept incoming
untagged packets and add the "VLAN 1" tag before switching. For output,
only packets tagged "VLAN 1" are considered, and the tag is stripped
before transmission.

Similarly, port f0/4 is "in VLAN 4". Only untagged packets are accepted
inbound, and the "VLAN 4" tag is added before switching. For output,
only packets tagged "VLAN 4" are considered, and the tag is stripped
before transmission.

The boxes attached to f0/2, f0/3, and f0/4 are not themselves configured
for VLANs, indeed they may not have any VLAN capability.

Ports f0/2 and f0/4 cannot see each other's traffic. But all of their
traffic is trunked - typically to a router with multiple subinterfaces,
so that traffic can be routed between VLAN's 1 and 4 when appropriate.

In short, in typical VLAN deployments, neither workstations nor servers
have VLAN configurations. It's all done (more securely) in the switches
and routers.

--Mike Bird

Old 05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Michael Loftis

I've always set my vlan interfaces naming scheme to not use the . notation
since Linux gets confused, that said, aliases using ethN.VLAN:A should
work, if you have setup tagged vlan ports (as many others have mentioned by
now) using the 8021q driver and either vconfig manually or the Debian
package (apt-get install vlan).

You may not be receiving tagged frames at all, in fact, unless you're
expected to be trunking multiple vlan's you usually won't.

--On May 22, 2008 11:02:30 AM +0200 Turbo Fredriksson <turbo@debian.org>
'Shortly', we'll be moving the office to another location (share office
space with another company), where they have VLAN's. They have given me
VLAN #20 and from what I can see (I'll be testing my setup later this
week), everything should be ok.

But what about the intranet server which have TWO addresses? I've tried
'eth0:0.20', 'eth0.20:0' (for the virtual interface) but neither worked...

Michael Loftis
Modwest Operations Manager
Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting

Thu May 22 22:30:01 2008