Old 05-25-2008, 05:52 AM
Thomas Goirand

Default 32bit or 64bit?

Marek Podmaka wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just yesterday learned that my Xeons are in fact 64bit, so I have
> few questions about it...
>
> 1) What is the performance gain between running 32bit and 64bit linux
> on 64bit capable CPU? I'm running Etch with apache+php+mysql. Is it
> worth upgrading?

I forgot something very important.

Under Debian, all package are compiled for i386/i486 (or is it only 486?
I'm not 100% sure...). Using a 64 bits version of the OS makes it user
binaries compiled for modern processors with all the new sets of
instructions and optimization. That makes a HUGE difference, and only
this makes it worth the memory lost in the deal.

Thomas