Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Sean

Default Content Filtering

Have you tried SafeSquid - content filtering proxy?

http://howtoforge.com/content-filtering-proxy-safesquid
http://howtoforge.com/set-up-internet-access-control-and-internet-filtering-with-safesquid
http://howtoforge.com/control-access-to-unwanted-websites-using-url-blacklist-with-safesquid-proxy-server
http://howtoforge.com/gateway-level-virus-security-clamav-safesquid-proxy

Although it is not open source, they have a full featured free edition
that supports up to 20 users.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:23 PM
"Mario Spinthiras"

SafeSquid is an HTTP firewall though it looks it can do extensive features. Never the less it remains http. How would it be able to respond to anything that isn't http ?

--
Warm Regards,
Mario A. Spinthiras

Nicosia , Cyprus
Blog: http://www.spinthiras.net
Mail: mspinthiras@gmail.com
Skype: smario125

Old 05-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Sean

> SafeSquid is an HTTP firewall though it looks it can do extensive features.
> Never the less it remains http. How would it be able to respond to anything
> that isn't http ?

I am afraid not. I am myself playing with the idea of using it with
something like untangle, or something similar, since it really has
good content filtering features (http of course)

Old 05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Craig Sanders

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 05:58:42AM -0700, Sean wrote:
> Have you tried SafeSquid - content filtering proxy?
> [...]
> Although it is not open source, they have a full featured free edition
> that supports up to 20 users.

not being open source is a problem in itself, but the deliberate "brand"
confusion by naming their proprietary http proxy cache the same
as the open source squid proxy cache is dishonest, deceptive, and just
plain wrong....especially with the implication that since there is a
"safe" squid, the original squid is not safe.

your opinion may differ, but in my opinion that is the behaviour
worthless parasitic scumbags.

from what i can see of the feature list[1], it doesn't do anything that
squid can't do anyway. and squid's free. and open source. with well over
10 years of open development and improvements and bug fixes behind it.

[1] it's hard to get the details because their web site appears to be
broken. even though i've never visited the site before, i get:

"It appears you have been banned from this website. If this is a
mistake or you are not sure why you are banned, please contact the
board administrator.

Board Administrator: admin [at] safesquid.com

You have been banned from this site."

i don't know if they don't like my IP address, my browser User-Agent,
the fact that I use NoScript to disable javascript....or perhaps
they don't like the HTTP_VIA request header which mentions my squid
proxy.

either way, i just couldn't be bothered contacting them.

[a few minutes later...] how interesting. it's the HTTP_VIA header. i
disabled the proxy setting in my browser and whaddaya know - their site
suddently works for me. so they don't want people using squid to visit
their site. wonder why that is.

that just tends to reinforce my opinion of them.

craig

ps: are you the same "Sean" that's plugging safesquid on howtoforge.com
with all those articles? do you work for safesquid or something? have
you been hired or is it part of your job to post all those howto
articles? and/or promote safesquid on mailing lists like this one?

it's generally considered good form to disclose your relationship or
interest when promoting something. more to the point, it is dishonest
and unethical to NOT make adequate disclosure.

> http://howtoforge.com/content-filtering-proxy-safesquid

by "Sean" on 2008-03-07

> http://howtoforge.com/set-up-internet-access-control-and-internet-filtering-with-safesquid

by "Sean" on 2008-03-28

> http://howtoforge.com/control-access-to-unwanted-websites-using-url-blacklist-with-safesquid-proxy-server

by "Sean" on 2008-04-15

> http://howtoforge.com/gateway-level-virus-security-clamav-safesquid-proxy

by "Sean" on 2008-03-17

pps: the OP had already said he didn't want a HTTP proxy, and you jump
in pushing a proprietary HTTP proxy. in my book, that (coupled with what
looks very much like an undisclosed relationship or financial interest
in the product you're pushing) makes you a spammer.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #221:

The mainframe needs to rest. It's getting old, you know.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 AM
Sean

Armin asked for suggentions. Like everybody else, I suggested someting
that i am using and happy with. If my suggestion works for Armin, i
will be more than happy. If not, he can just ignore my suggestion, and
move on. Please do excuse me if I suggested the worng solution,
considering me to be an ignorant fool.

Regards.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 AM
Craig Sanders

On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 10:34:47PM -0700, Sean wrote:
> Armin asked for suggentions. Like everybody else, I suggested someting
> that i am using and happy with. If my suggestion works for Armin, i
> will be more than happy. If not, he can just ignore my suggestion, and
> move on. Please do excuse me if I suggested the worng solution,
> considering me to be an ignorant fool.

actually, my questions weren't about whether you were a fool or not,
they were about whether you were a paid spammer pushing a proprietary
product on an open-source mailing list (and on the howtoforge site)
while pretending to be a grass-roots user.

obviously, clarification of trivial details like that is unimportant.
after all, nobody cares about astro-turfing campaigns, or spammers
pretending to be real humans, do they?

even so, it would be appreciated if you would answer the following
questions:

1. are you an employee of SafeSquid or any associated company or
business?

2. are you an employee of any company doing business with SafeSquid? if
yes, what is the nature of that business.

4. do you expect to become an employee as in 1. or 2. above in future?

3. do you have any other relationship with the SafeSquid company or its
owners, employees, agents, contractors, etc?

4. have you been paid or will you be paid - in money, or in kind, or in
any other way - for promoting SafeSquid, either on the internet or off
it?

5. is there any particular reason why when you search google [1] and
google groups [2] for your rseans@gmail.com email address, EVERY
single link shows you answering someone's question with an off-topic
recommendation for SafeSquid?

perhaps SafeSquid is your entire life. more likely, you've got some
financial interest in SafeSquid that you're not disclosing when you
make these "helpful" recommendations.

[1] http://www.google.com/search?q=rseans%40gmail.com
[2] http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rseans%40gmail.com

the earliest one i have seen so far is June 2007, so i guess you started
working for them around that time. even with a throwaway gmail address
you leave a trail that can be followed.

6. what IS your real name? are you a real person or are you just a
fictional entity that exists only to promote SafeSquid? most likely the
latter.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM
Nate Duehr

Craig Sanders wrote:

even so, it would be appreciated if you would answer the following
questions:

This person also refused to answer similar questions on a local LUG
mailing list, and the SafeSquid site actively blocks people looking at
it that use a real (free) Squid proxy to view it.

Apparently this person is completely clueless about the community
"culture" of Linux.

Freely taking lots of people's hard work on Squid and then disrespecting
it and the people working on it to sell a product and trying to act like
the product isn't based on Squid, instead of being open/honest about the
resulting commercial product being a derivative of the original, isn't
taken well by most people in the community, Squid developers, packagers,
users, or otherwise.

Easy to behave differently... and the "community" will applaud efforts
to make commercial versions with full support, etc.

Unethical company, in my personal opinion, unless they change their
ways. I won't use it, and I'll warn others not to, unless their
attitude changes.

In Linux, no one forsakes anyone making a buck, but the developers
certainly do like it if the businesses practices of the companies
reselling their work, at least don't actively try to guard against
anyone finding out that those same developers really created their
product for them.

Caveat emptor!

Nate

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Craig Sanders

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 01:45:28PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> Craig Sanders wrote:
>
>> even so, it would be appreciated if you would answer the following
>> questions:
>
> This person also refused to answer similar questions on a local LUG
> mailing list,

not surprising.

> and the SafeSquid site actively blocks people looking at
> it that use a real (free) Squid proxy to view it.

yeah, i'd already figured that out.

see: http://lists.debian.org/debian-isp/2008/05/msg00013.html

> Freely taking lots of people's hard work on Squid and then disrespecting
> it and the people working on it to sell a product and trying to act like
> the product isn't based on Squid, instead of being open/honest about the
> resulting commercial product being a derivative of the original, isn't
> taken well by most people in the community, Squid developers, packagers,
> users, or otherwise.

ah. ok. so "safesquid" is based on squid, as in a derivative of the
squid source code? are you sure? i didn't realise that. they go to some
length to hide it, and the original claim by "Sean" on this list was
that it wasn't open source but that they have a crippled free version.

do they actually offer or provide source code to their customers?

if not, then they are violating the terms of squid's license (GPL v2 or
later).

i've searched the squid mailing lists and can't see any discussion
of safesquid. a few user questions asking about it, but no answers.

safesquid also seems to be integrated with other GPL-licensed programs
(incl. clamav and mysql). if they distribute them together with
safesquid, then that is more than just an aggregation as mentioned in
clause 2 of the GPLv2 (and clause 5 of the GPLv3), and they are also
violating the license terms of those programs. mysql are particularly
keen on enforcing their license terms.

this, of course, also applies to squid. if safesquid isn't actually
a derivative of squid (i can't tell for sure, their web site doesn't
say), then it is still bound by the GPL if they distribute it along with
squid....just like mysql & clamav (but even more so), it's too tightly
integrated with squid to be a mere aggregation on the same distribution
media.

the GPL Violations people may be able to help with all of that.

http://www.gpl-violations.org/

craig

ps: i've got a particular interest in and fondness for squid. i've been
using it for 12+ years, and i was the person who first packaged it for
debian back in 1996.

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Old 05-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Roberto C. Sánchez

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:52:04AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:

> safesquid also seems to be integrated with other GPL-licensed programs
> (incl. clamav and mysql). if they distribute them together with
> safesquid, then that is more than just an aggregation as mentioned in
> clause 2 of the GPLv2 (and clause 5 of the GPLv3), and they are also
> violating the license terms of those programs. mysql are particularly
> keen on enforcing their license terms.

To be fair (and I am not defending the astroturfing, just pointing
something out), it depends on how the pieces "integrate." For example,
if you access the database using some (appropriately licensed) ODBC or
Perl DBD driver, then you could certainly license your application
however you like. If you reverse engineer the MySQL client protocol and
use that, then you could also license your application however you like.
The snag comes when you use (in the case of MySQL) the client library,
which is licensed under the GPL, without paying MySQL the fee for the
commercial license.

> this, of course, also applies to squid. if safesquid isn't actually
> a derivative of squid (i can't tell for sure, their web site doesn't
> say), then it is still bound by the GPL if they distribute it along with
> squid....just like mysql & clamav (but even more so), it's too tightly
> integrated with squid to be a mere aggregation on the same distribution
> media.

So, simply interoperating with a product is not enough cause you to have
to license some piece of software under the GPL. However, linking
against one of its libraries may be.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

Old 05-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Craig Sanders

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 07:10:31PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:52:04AM +1000, Craig Sanders wrote:
> >
> > safesquid also seems to be integrated with other GPL-licensed programs
> > (incl. clamav and mysql). if they distribute them together with
> > safesquid, then that is more than just an aggregation as mentioned in
> > clause 2 of the GPLv2 (and clause 5 of the GPLv3), and they are also
> > violating the license terms of those programs. mysql are particularly
> > keen on enforcing their license terms.
> >
> To be fair (and I am not defending the astroturfing, just pointing
> something out), it depends on how the pieces "integrate." For example,
> if you access the database using some (appropriately licensed) ODBC or
> Perl DBD driver, then you could certainly license your application
> however you like. If you reverse engineer the MySQL client protocol and
> use that, then you could also license your application however you like.
> The snag comes when you use (in the case of MySQL) the client library,
> which is licensed under the GPL, without paying MySQL the fee for the
> commercial license.

no, actually, this isn't about linking, it's a separate clause in
the GPL - if you distribute your work along with a GPL work then the
*entire* work must be licensed under the GPL *unless* it is a mere
aggregation on the same distribution media.

i.e. if your work depends upon or integrates closely with the GPL work
(even without directly linking the code) then it is covered by the GPL
if distributed together with the GPL code it depends upon.

safesquid's use of clamav, mysql, and/or squid (assuming it isn't
actually derived from the squid code) means that any combined
distribution of the programs causes safesquid to fall under the GPL.

> > this, of course, also applies to squid. if safesquid isn't actually
> > a derivative of squid (i can't tell for sure, their web site doesn't
> > say), then it is still bound by the GPL if they distribute it along with
> > squid....just like mysql & clamav (but even more so), it's too tightly
> > integrated with squid to be a mere aggregation on the same distribution
> > media.
>
> So, simply interoperating with a product is not enough cause you to have
> to license some piece of software under the GPL. However, linking
> against one of its libraries may be.

it is if you distribute them together.

see clause 2 of GPLv2 and clause 5 of GPLv3.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>