Old 04-28-2008, 10:02 AM
Jorge Salamero Sanz

Default traffic accounting software

hi all,

which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?

i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with
something like rrdtols.

i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and
easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.

thanks

Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Roberto C. Sánchez

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:02:21PM +0200, Jorge Salamero Sanz wrote:

> hi all,
>
> which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?
>
> i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with
> something like rrdtols.
>
> i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and
> easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.
>
> thanks

Shorewall incorporates accounting features.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sánchez
http://people.connexer.com/~roberto

Old 04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:02:21PM +0200, Jorge Salamero Sanz wrote:

> hi all,
>
> which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?
>
> i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with
> something like rrdtols.
>
> i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and
> easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.

snmp & mrtg?

Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM
"Brian Schrock"

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Jorge Salamero Sanz <bencer@cauterized.net> wrote:

hi all,

which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?

i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with

something like rrdtols.

i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and

easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.

Closest to want you want would be cacti and some null iptables rules. We also use ntop at my company.
Brian J. Schrock
Systems Engineer, IntegraLink
The Cobalt Group, Inc.

2790 Fisher Road
Columbus, Ohio 43204
bschrock@integralink.com
www.integralink.com
p. 614.324.7800 ext. 3295

Old 04-28-2008, 09:08 PM
Craig Sanders

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:24:20PM +0100, Adam McGreggor wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:02:21PM +0200, Jorge Salamero Sanz wrote:
> > which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?
> >
> > i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with
> > something like rrdtols.
> >
> > i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and
> > easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.
>
> snmp & mrtg?

cricket or cacti are better than mrtg these days.

but the answer to the OP's question depends on whether he just wants to
see a graph summarising traffic in & out on each interface, or
if he wants to do detailed traffic accounting.

for that he'd need to do netflow processing.

e.g. with:

Package: nfdump
Section: net
Installed-Size: 632
Maintainer: Erik Wenzel <erik@debian.org>
Version: 1.5.7-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), librrd2 (>= 1.2.15), lsb-base (>= 3.0-6)
Collects and processes netflow data with command line tools. Collected netflow
data is stored in filesystem and is limited by available storage space only.
Tools are optimized for speed and filtering. nfcapd reads netflow v5, v7 and
v9 flows transparently. You need one nfcapd process for each netflow stream.
Optional support for sFlow and flow-tools to nfdump conversion utilities are
available but needs re-compiliation.
Homepage: http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/
Tag: admin::accounting, implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, interface::daemon, network::{routing,scanner,server}, protocol::{ip,ipv6,tcp,udp}, role:rogram, use::{analysing,checking,filtering,monitor,viewing }

and/or

Package: pmacct
Section: net
Installed-Size: 1536
Maintainer: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@debian.org>
Version: 0.11.4-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6.1-1), libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.27-1), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.3-1), libpq5, libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.4.2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1), iproute
pmacct is a tool designed to gather traffic information (bytes and number
of packets) by listening on a promiscuous interface or for Netflow data,
which may facilitate billing, bandwidth management, traffic analysis, or
creating usage graphs.
.
Data can be stored in memory and queried, displayed directly, or written
to a database; storage methods are quite flexible and may aggregate totals
or keep them separate.
Tag: admin::accounting, admin::configuring, devel::lang:sql, network::scanner, role:rogram, scope::utility, use::monitor, works-with::db

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM
"Tirla Adrian"

munin, munin-node - graphs: bandwidth, interface errors, latencies, connections, squid, mail servers, disk usage, mysql, system, other ...

plus: lots of plugins
plus: can graph multiple servers, does not require snmp

plus: easy configuration

hope it helps

best regards
Adrian

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 04:24:20PM +0100, Adam McGreggor wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 12:02:21PM +0200, Jorge Salamero Sanz wrote:

> > which software would you recommend for traffic accouting on a firewall ?

> > i want monitor forwarded traffic and connections and graph it with

> > something like rrdtols.

> > i'd like to find something lightweight (ntop or nagios are too heavy) and

> > easyly customizable, alerts are a plus.

> snmp & mrtg?

cricket or cacti are better than mrtg these days.

but the answer to the OP's question depends on whether he just wants to

see a graph summarising traffic in & out on each interface, or

if he wants to do detailed traffic accounting.

for that he'd need to do netflow processing.

e.g. with:

Package: nfdump

Section: net

Installed-Size: 632

Maintainer: Erik Wenzel <erik@debian.org>

Version: 1.5.7-2

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1), librrd2 (>= 1.2.15), lsb-base (>= 3.0-6)

*Collects and processes netflow data with command line tools. Collected netflow

*data is stored in filesystem and is limited by available storage space only.

*Tools are optimized for speed and filtering. nfcapd reads netflow v5, v7 and

*v9 flows transparently. You need one nfcapd process for each netflow stream.

*Optional support for sFlow and flow-tools to nfdump conversion utilities are

*available but needs re-compiliation.

Homepage: http://nfdump.sourceforge.net/

Tag: admin::accounting, implemented-in::c, interface::commandline, interface::daemon, network::{routing,scanner,server}, protocol::{ip,ipv6,tcp,udp}, role:rogram, use::{analysing,checking,filtering,monitor,viewing }

and/or

Package: pmacct

Section: net

Installed-Size: 1536

Maintainer: Jamie Wilkinson <jaq@debian.org>

Version: 0.11.4-1

Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6.1-1), libmysqlclient15off (>= 5.0.27-1), libpcap0.8 (>= 0.9.3-1), libpq5, libsqlite3-0 (>= 3.4.2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1), iproute

*pmacct is a tool designed to gather traffic information (bytes and number

*of packets) by listening on a promiscuous interface or for Netflow data,

*which may facilitate billing, bandwidth management, traffic analysis, or

*creating usage graphs.

*.