Old 04-21-2008, 07:33 PM
NN_il_Confusionario

Default SQL pass/shadow

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:18:00PM +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> It should be mysql auth. mechanism that will allow my users through
> proftpd, ssh and on vty's .

libpam-mysql (since proftpd ssh login use pam)

> I've already installed libnss-mysql but it only authenticate users, i
> cant change password etc.

passwd also uses pam

(However, last time I used libpam-mysql was many years ago. Obviosly, be
sure to have a good backup and failover solution fou your mysql server.
In any case I would never authenticate administrative users against the
compexities of a sql database)

Old 04-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 21.04.08 21:18, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> I am looking for a sql replacement for pam_unix database .

does it really have to be mysql? Many prople use LDAP and many programs
support LDAP for such usage, which has some dvantages like easy data
replication etc. (and afaik many MTA's can benefit from LDAP like rejecting
unknown users even on MX backup servers)

"To Boot or not to Boot, that's the question." [WD1270 Caviar]

Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 AM
"Wojciech Ziniewicz"

2008/4/22 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>:

> does it really have to be mysql? Many prople use LDAP and many programs
> support LDAP for such usage, which has some dvantages like easy data
> replication etc. (and afaik many MTA's can benefit from LDAP like rejecting
> unknown users even on MX backup servers)

Hi - it could be ldap , but I prefer ease of use and simplicity. Ldap
is more like a big gun for a small problem.

More or less it could be ANYthing that will let my users log on ssh
with the same password on every server.

Any other suggestions ?

regards.

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l

Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Adam McGreggor

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:08:26PM +0200, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> 2008/4/22 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@fantomas.sk>:
>
> > does it really have to be mysql? Many prople use LDAP and many programs
> > support LDAP for such usage, which has some dvantages like easy data
> > replication etc. (and afaik many MTA's can benefit from LDAP like rejecting
> > unknown users even on MX backup servers)
>
> Hi - it could be ldap , but I prefer ease of use and simplicity. Ldap
> is more like a big gun for a small problem.
>
> More or less it could be ANYthing that will let my users log on ssh
> with the same password on every server.
>
> Any other suggestions ?

Assuming that all users are common, on all boxen,
https://secure.mysociety.org/cvstrac/fileview?f=mysociety/bin/usersync&v=1.6
and cron, perhaps?