Old 10-23-2013, 09:23 AM
Jogi Hofmüller

Default problem booting from with rootfs on RAID/LVM

Dear list,

We recently installed Debian/wheezy on a new server [1]. After
upgrading to jessie and installing newer kernels we discovered that the
machine cannot be booted anymore because the RAID is never assembled.

So far we tried various suggestions that came in on debian-users [2],
but nothing worked so far. Even upgrading to kernel 3.11
(linux-image-3.11-1-amd64) resulted in the same behavior.

Now I downgraded to wheezy and tried installing new kernels: still the
same thing. Now RAID. The only thing working is kernel 3.2.

I would love to get a pointer on /where/ to start investigating this
problem. We intend to use btrfs on this machine and thus /need/ a
kernel more recent than 3.2.

[1] http://ark.intel.com/products/56256
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2013/10/msg01035.html

Regards!
--
j.hofmüller

mur.sat -- a space art project http://sat.mur.at/

Old 10-23-2013, 10:59 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

We recently installed Debian/wheezy on a new server [1]. After
upgrading to jessie and installing newer kernels we discovered that
the machine cannot be booted anymore because the RAID is never
assembled.

why is it never assembled?

I've had similar problem with root on RAID (no LVM), because RAID modules
were loaded prior to disks being detected. I have fixed this by using kernel
option "scsi_mod.scan=sync".

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Jogi Hofmüller

Hi,

I've had similar problem with root on RAID (no LVM), because RAID modules
were loaded prior to disks being detected. I have fixed this by using
kernel
option "scsi_mod.scan=sync".

Seemed to be the same thing here. Setting the scsi_mod.scan=sync did
help! Thanks a bunch!

Cheers.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas