FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian ISP

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-04-2013, 07:06 PM
"C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP"
 
Default PPPoE access server

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
themselves when they establish their ppp session.

Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
linux as an access server?

Thanks in advance,

C.J.
 
Old 03-05-2013, 06:16 AM
"Adrian Minta;"
 
Default PPPoE access server

Is not a debian solution, but some providers in my country have
successfully use the following combination: FreeBSD+MPD5+Intel NIC.



On 03/04/2013 10:06 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
themselves when they establish their ppp session.

Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
linux as an access server?

Thanks in advance,

C.J.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 51359BC9.9060703@stsnet.ro">http://lists.debian.org/51359BC9.9060703@stsnet.ro
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 AM
Dmitry Sinina
 
Default PPPoE access server

Debian + accel-ppp + Intel NICs work on our network.

On 03/05/2013 09:16 AM, Adrian Minta; wrote:
> Is not a debian solution, but some providers in my country have
> successfully use the following combination: FreeBSD+MPD5+Intel NIC.
>
>
> On 03/04/2013 10:06 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
>> single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
>> then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
>> of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
>> themselves when they establish their ppp session.
>>
>> Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
>> only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
>> good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
>> drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
>> linux as an access server?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> C.J.
>>
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5135AB52.2020500@onat.edu.ua">http://lists.debian.org/5135AB52.2020500@onat.edu.ua
 
Old 03-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Alex Montoanelli
 
Default PPPoE access server

Yeah, is a good solution.
We have a dell r410, nic intel and broadcom,
around 4K customers, with bandwith control running verry well.
bsd 7.1, mpd5, radius authentication.


Good setup. It's works.--

Alex Montoanelli


**Unetvale


**+55 48 3263 8789

**INOC 53175*100





On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Adrian Minta; <gygy@stsnet.ro> wrote:


Is not a debian solution, but some providers in my country have successfully use the following combination: FreeBSD+MPD5+Intel NIC.





On 03/04/2013 10:06 PM, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:


Hello folks,



I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a

single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. *I expect that I can

then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way

of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate

themselves when they establish their ppp session.



Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? *The

only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the

good olde modem days. *I was hoping I was missing something pretty

drastic. *Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? *Perhaps nobody uses

linux as an access server?



Thanks in advance,



C.J.








--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/51359BC9.9060703@stsnet.ro
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM
b2
 
Default PPPoE access server

В 08:32 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
> Yeah, is a good solution.
>
>
> We have a dell r410, nic intel and broadcom,
>
>
> around 4K customers, with bandwith control running verry well.
>
>
> bsd 7.1, mpd5, radius authentication.
>
>
> Good setup. It's works.
>

4k customers on just one concentrator!?
how much is the summary bandwidth usage on one ras?


thanks in advance



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362485842.2544.2.camel@valio
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Alex Montoanelli
 
Default PPPoE access server

Yeah, avg 1M.--

Alex Montoanelli


*»*Unetvale


*»*+55 48 3263 8789

*»*INOC 53175*100





On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:17 AM, b2 <b2@playtime.bg> wrote:


В 08:32 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:

> Yeah, is a good solution.

>

>

> We have a dell r410, nic intel and broadcom,

>

>

> around 4K customers, with bandwith control running verry well.

>

>

> bsd 7.1, mpd5, radius authentication.

>

>

> Good setup. It's works.

>



4k customers on just one concentrator!?

how much is the summary bandwidth usage on one ras?





thanks in advance







--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362485842.2544.2.camel@valio
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:45 AM
b2
 
Default PPPoE access server

В 12:06 -0800 на 04.03.2013 (пн), C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP написа:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
> single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
> then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
> of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
> themselves when they establish their ppp session.
>
> Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
> only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
> good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
> drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
> linux as an access server?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> C.J.
>

Here we use:
Diskless machines with Debian stable
intel nic
rp-pppoe(+home-made patches)
pppd with radius, radattr, rp-pppoe plugins
raduis + mysql for authentication
tc for shaping

Its working fine for years, but i'm not quite sure it is the best
possible setup for performance.

Greets.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362487518.2544.9.camel@valio
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Alex Montoanelli
 
Default PPPoE access server

We also had linux with home-made-pppoe *a long time ago...
The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and *'complicated',too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..


For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.


--

Alex Montoanelli


*»*Unetvale


*»*+55 48 3263 8789

*»*INOC 53175*100





On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM, b2 <b2@playtime.bg> wrote:


В 12:06 -0800 на 04.03.2013 (пн), C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP написа:

> Hello folks,

>

> I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a

> single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. *I expect that I can

> then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way

> of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate

> themselves when they establish their ppp session.

>

> Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? *The

> only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the

> good olde modem days. *I was hoping I was missing something pretty

> drastic. *Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? *Perhaps nobody uses

> linux as an access server?

>

> Thanks in advance,

>

> C.J.

>



Here we use:

Diskless machines with Debian stable

intel nic

rp-pppoe(+home-made patches)

pppd with radius, radattr, rp-pppoe plugins

raduis + mysql for authentication

tc for shaping



Its working fine for years, but i'm not quite sure it is the best

possible setup for performance.



Greets.





--

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org

with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362487518.2544.9.camel@valio
 
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM
b2
 
Default PPPoE access server

В 09:50 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
> We also had linux with home-made-pppoe a long time ago...
>
>
> The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and
> 'complicated',
> too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..
>
>
> For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.
>

Yeah, i will check mpd, thanks for the insights.


Greets.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362488110.2544.11.camel@valio
 
Old 03-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Dmitry Sinina
 
Default PPPoE access server

On 03/05/2013 02:55 PM, b2 wrote:
> В 09:50 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
>> We also had linux with home-made-pppoe a long time ago...
>>
>>
>> The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and
>> 'complicated',
>> too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..
>>
>>
>> For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.
>>
>
> Yeah, i will check mpd, thanks for the insights.
>
>
> Greets.
>
>
We can try accel-ppp. No need any scripts for shaping. No need any
additional radiusclients.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 5135EF3E.4090503@onat.edu.ua">http://lists.debian.org/5135EF3E.4090503@onat.edu.ua
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:06 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org