-   -   PPPoE access server (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/712865-pppoe-access-server.html)

"C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP" 03-04-2013 07:06 PM

PPPoE access server

Hello folks,

I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
themselves when they establish their ppp session.

Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
linux as an access server?

Thanks in advance,

C.J.

"Adrian Minta;" 03-05-2013 06:16 AM

PPPoE access server

Is not a debian solution, but some providers in my country have
successfully use the following combination: FreeBSD+MPD5+Intel NIC.

Dmitry Sinina 03-05-2013 07:22 AM

PPPoE access server

Debian + accel-ppp + Intel NICs work on our network.

Alex Montoanelli 03-05-2013 10:32 AM

PPPoE access server

Yeah, is a good solution.
We have a dell r410, nic intel and broadcom,
around 4K customers, with bandwith control running verry well.
bsd 7.1, mpd5, radius authentication.

Good setup. It's works.--

Alex Montoanelli

**Unetvale

**+55 48 3263 8789

**INOC 53175*100

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/51359BC9.9060703@stsnet.ro

b2 03-05-2013 11:17 AM

PPPoE access server

В 08:32 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
> Yeah, is a good solution.
>

> We have a dell r410, nic intel and broadcom,
>

> around 4K customers, with bandwith control running verry well.
>

> bsd 7.1, mpd5, radius authentication.
>

> Good setup. It's works.

4k customers on just one concentrator!?
how much is the summary bandwidth usage on one ras?

thanks in advance

Alex Montoanelli 03-05-2013 11:28 AM

PPPoE access server

Yeah, avg 1M.--

Alex Montoanelli

*»*Unetvale

*»*+55 48 3263 8789

*»*INOC 53175*100

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362485842.2544.2.camel@valio

b2 03-05-2013 11:45 AM

PPPoE access server

В 12:06 -0800 на 04.03.2013 (пн), C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP написа:
> Hello folks,
>
> I'm thinking about changing my current subscriber setup from extending a
> single L2 bridge to all customers over to PPPoE. I expect that I can
> then perform rate limiting with pppd, get a better sense of usage by way
> of RADIUS as well as allowing customer devices to authenticate
> themselves when they establish their ppp session.
>
> Is there any documentation on setting up such an access server? The
> only ppp docs I found with a basic search of the terms were from the
> good olde modem days. I was hoping I was missing something pretty
> drastic. Perhaps folks have switched to 802.1x? Perhaps nobody uses
> linux as an access server?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> C.J.

Here we use:
Diskless machines with Debian stable
intel nic
rp-pppoe(+home-made patches)
pppd with radius, radattr, rp-pppoe plugins
raduis + mysql for authentication
tc for shaping

Its working fine for years, but i'm not quite sure it is the best
possible setup for performance.

Greets.

Alex Montoanelli 03-05-2013 11:50 AM

PPPoE access server

We also had linux with home-made-pppoe *a long time ago...
The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and *'complicated',too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..

For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.

--

Alex Montoanelli

*»*Unetvale

*»*+55 48 3263 8789

*»*INOC 53175*100

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/1362487518.2544.9.camel@valio

b2 03-05-2013 11:55 AM

PPPoE access server

В 09:50 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
> We also had linux with home-made-pppoe a long time ago...
>

> The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and
> 'complicated',
> too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..
>

> For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.

Yeah, i will check mpd, thanks for the insights.

Greets.

Dmitry Sinina 03-05-2013 12:12 PM

PPPoE access server

On 03/05/2013 02:55 PM, b2 wrote:
> В 09:50 -0300 на 05.03.2013 (вт), Alex Montoanelli написа:
>> We also had linux with home-made-pppoe a long time ago...
>>

>> The problem is, on high bandwidth, the tc is a bit slow, and
>> 'complicated',
>> too many scripts, too many rules, too much complex..
>>

>> For us, mpd is another category of service clean and lightweight.
>>

> Yeah, i will check mpd, thanks for the insights.
>

> Greets.

We can try accel-ppp. No need any scripts for shaping. No need any
additional radiusclients.