Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default IBM eSeries xServer 335 can not more installed with Squeeze

Hello Ross Halliday,

> > Try unofficial image with firmware included :
> > http://blog.einval.com/2010/12/15
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-fi=
rmware/
> Thank you so much for this link, now I can install on my IBM BladeCenter =
again!

Are you sure you need it? I have installed Debian Squeeze without this
NON-FREE Debian CD. However, unfortunately it does not work for me with
my x335...

Teh offending x335 is a 8676-61X and now I am using an other x335 of the
type 8676-L1X and it works flawless...

However, it seems, in the first one the Hardware Raid-1 Controller is
disabled, because I do not get the prompt, where I can use <CTRL><C> to
enter the setup.

This mean, I have in total 134 IBM eServer xSeries 335 which are working
=66rom scratch with a standard Debian CD and fscking 11 x335 which drive
me crazy!

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems@tdnet Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3 Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl Tel mobil: +49-177-9351947
Germany Tel mobil: +33-6-61925193 (France)

USt-ID: DE 278 049 239

Old 02-21-2012, 10:32 PM
Ross Halliday

> Are you sure you need it? I have installed Debian Squeeze without
> this
> NON-FREE Debian CD. However, unfortunately it does not work for me
> with
> my x335...

Wow, that sounds incredibly irritating. I should have qualified that further: the removal of the bnx2 driver for the integrated NICs in our HS21s made the stock netinstall CD pretty useless. Trying to get the firmware loaded via the Java remote KVM thing in the BladeCenter was not an experience I'd like to relive any time soon. I've never had any issues with the onboard LSI MegaRAID controllers in any mode with SAS or SATA disks. Controllers are LSI1064E

---
Ross Halliday
Network Operations
WTC Communications

Office: 613-547-6939 x203
Helpdesk: 866-547-6939 option 2
http://www.wtccommunications.ca

Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Ross Halliday,

> > Are you sure you need it? I have installed Debian Squeeze without
> > this
> > NON-FREE Debian CD. However, unfortunately it does not work for me
> > with
> > my x335...
>
> Wow, that sounds incredibly irritating. I should have qualified that
> further: the removal of the bnx2 driver for the integrated NICs in our
> HS21s made the stock netinstall CD pretty useless. Trying to get the
> firmware loaded via the Java remote KVM thing in the BladeCenter was
> not an experience I'd like to relive any time soon. I've never had any
> issues with the onboard LSI MegaRAID controllers in any mode with SAS
> or SATA disks. Controllers are LSI1064E

Can it be, that IBM use two different chips in the server?

I have the impression, that LSI != LSI, exspecialy for my x335. They
show the same LSI Raid-Chip, but on 11 Machines it does not work.

More then 170 other identical ones ARE working. This is, WHY I am very
surprised with this problem

It is realy time to manufacture our own Servers like "Open Hardware".

Each time I get/buy a new server I have the hell on the ass.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Bjørn Mork

Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> writes:

> I have the impression, that LSI != LSI, exspecialy for my x335. They
> show the same LSI Raid-Chip, but on 11 Machines it does not work.
>
> More then 170 other identical ones ARE working. This is, WHY I am very
> surprised with this problem

I don't know if this is the problem is this case, but one thing to note
about LSI is that they *do* fix firmware issues. Which means that you
may experience problems like that if the firmware revisions are
different, even if the chips are identical.

Bjørn

Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Bjørn Mork,

> I don't know if this is the problem is this case, but one thing to note
> about LSI is that they *do* fix firmware issues. Which means that you
> may experience problems like that if the firmware revisions are
> different, even if the chips are identical.

I know, but this schould not affect tzhe <CTRL><C> to go into the Raid
Setup. I have already asked in the IBM-Forum, and they told me, that
there is not a singel x335, which does NOT HAVE the Raid-Setup.

Evewn if you have a x335 with "only non-hotswapable ATA drives", the
Raid Setup is there...

It seems, something has disabled the Raid Setup, which mean, I can not
use <CTRL><C> or install GNU/Linux on it...

Note: I can not even install Windows 2000 Advanced Server on it..