Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Marc Aymerich

Default Processor context corrupt.

Hi dear all,

We have a dell server (poweredge 1950) running in production over a 3
years from now. But since the last 4 months the server begins to
randomly crash, sometimes once a month, sometimes two times a week.
This is the error log:
http://imageshack.us/f/714/screenshotat20111209210.png/

Any hint on this?
Thanks!

--
Marc

Old 12-17-2011, 11:44 AM
Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago

It seems to be a hardware problem as it warns. You should run the HW tests on the BIOS to check the processor's health and RAM memory.

Regards.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Marc Aymerich

Yes, It seems a hardware problem, we already have done a memory check
(it took 3 or 4 days to complete) but we found nothing. Unfortunately
our bios doesn't have any cpu test. It is posible to run a cpu test
like memtest86 does? Also are these hardware test 100% reliable? I
mean, I can discart a memory problem after succesfully passing
memtest86?

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM, Marcos Lorenzo de Santiago
<fraga.muerete@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to be a hardware problem as it warns. You should run the HW tests on the BIOS to check the processor's health and RAM memory.
>
> Regards.
>
> El 17/12/2011, a las 13:36, Marc Aymerich <glicerinu@gmail.com> escribió:
>
>> Hi dear all,
>>
>> We have a dell server (poweredge 1950) running in production over a 3
>> years from now. But since the last 4 months the server begins to
>> randomly crash, sometimes once a month, sometimes two times a week.
>> This is the error log:
>> http://imageshack.us/f/714/screenshotat20111209210.png/
>>
>> Any hint on this?
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Marc
>>

>> --

Marc

Old 12-19-2011, 06:03 PM
Sven Hartge

Marc Aymerich <glicerinu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, It seems a hardware problem, we already have done a memory check
> (it took 3 or 4 days to complete) but we found nothing. Unfortunately
> our bios doesn't have any cpu test. It is posible to run a cpu test
> like memtest86 does? Also are these hardware test 100% reliable? I
> mean, I can discart a memory problem after succesfully passing
> memtest86?

If the CPU throws an Machine Check Exception (MCE), there is not much
you can do, as the hardware already told you "I'm dead, Jim!".

In all my cases of a MCE in the past, this was _always_ caused by faulty
hardware, split roghly 50:50 between broken mainboard or broken CPU.

If you have a valid support contract with your vendor, tell them the
system is MCEing and they will replace the hardware. If they refuse to
comply: never buy from that vendor again.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:17 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011, Marc Aymerich wrote:
> We have a dell server (poweredge 1950) running in production over a 3
> years from now. But since the last 4 months the server begins to
> randomly crash, sometimes once a month, sometimes two times a week.
> This is the error log:
> http://imageshack.us/f/714/screenshotat20111209210.png/

Update the system firmware and all of the baseboard firmware. If the
problem persists, contact the vendor for system repair... and good luck.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Robert L Mathews

Sven Hartge wrote:

In all my cases of a MCE in the past, this was _always_ caused by faulty
hardware, split roghly 50:50 between broken mainboard or broken CPU.

As another data point, I recently saw a repeatable MCE error on a
machine with faulty memory during a new hardware burn-in test. Replacing
the memory fixed it.

--
Robert L Mathews, Tiger Technologies, http://www.tigertech.net/

Old 12-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Sven Hartge

Robert L Mathews <lists@tigertech.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge wrote:

>> In all my cases of a MCE in the past, this was _always_ caused by
>> faulty hardware, split roghly 50:50 between broken mainboard or
>> broken CPU.

> As another data point, I recently saw a repeatable MCE error on a
> machine with faulty memory during a new hardware burn-in test.
> Replacing the memory fixed it.

Might happen with the newer CPUs with integrated memory controller.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Old 12-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Marc Aymerich

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
> Robert L Mathews <lists@tigertech.com> wrote:
>> Sven Hartge wrote:
>
>>> In all my cases of a MCE in the past, this was _always_ caused by
>>> faulty hardware, split roghly 50:50 between broken mainboard or
>>> broken CPU.
>
>> As another data point, I recently saw a repeatable MCE error on a
>> machine with faulty memory during a new hardware burn-in test.
>> Replacing the memory fixed it.
>
> Might happen with the newer CPUs with integrated memory controller.

Thank you all for your help
Yesterday we decide to remove two memory sims, since these two sims
have been plugged into the server just few months ago, during a
general memory upgrade. Hope that there is no mceing anymore

--
Marc

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Marc Aymerich

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 7:49 PM, Marc Aymerich <glicerinu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
>> Robert L Mathews <lists@tigertech.com> wrote:

>>> As another data point, I recently saw a repeatable MCE error on a
>>> machine with faulty memory during a new hardware burn-in test.
>>> Replacing the memory fixed it.
>>
>> Might happen with the newer CPUs with integrated memory controller.
>>

> Thank you all for your help
> Yesterday we decide to remove two memory sims, since these two sims
> have been plugged into the server just few months ago, during a
> general memory upgrade. Hope that there is no mceing anymore

two weeks have passed without see any context corrupt. Seems that it
was a memory problem after all. Thank you guys!

--
Marc