Old 12-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Michelle Konzack

Default How to setup pppd to use pam?

Many years ago, I have used pppd with pam authenication and tried it to
install it today, but failed... Now I am searchin since more then three
hours for the HOWTO, but I do not find it.

Can someone provide me with infos how to setup pppd to use PAM?

I need it urgently, because I can not use a normal ISDN card because I
need several analog protocols like V.90, X2, V34+ and slower.

Note: I use US Robotics Courier I-Modem.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

Internet Service Provider, Cloud Computing
<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>

itsystems@tdnet Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
Owner Michelle Konzack

Gewerbe Strasse 3 Tel office: +49-176-86004575
77694 Kehl Tel mobil: +49-177-9351947
Germany Tel mobil: +33-6-61925193 (France)

USt-ID: DE 278 049 239

Old 12-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Scott Edwards

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 10:16 PM, Michelle Konzack
<linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net> wrote:
> Many years ago, I have used pppd with pam authenication and tried it *to
> install it today, but failed... *Now I am searchin since more then three
> hours for the HOWTO, but I do not find it.
>
> Can someone provide me with infos how to setup pppd to use PAM?
[snip]

It's been a long time since I had it setup this way. I know freeradius
can ask local pam for authentication. As pam usually authenticates to
shadow files, CHAP and anything that requires clear text equivalent of
passwords will not be available. Some dialup clients may be lost
unless they disable CHAP etc. Eg, use PAP.

It's also been a while since I managed a freeradius machine. I recall
the config files have this commented and documented pretty well.

HTH,

Scott Edwards