Old 10-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Shane Chrisp

Default Invisable Grub

On 13/10/11 04:03, Paul van der Vlis wrote:

Hello,

I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen. Only when I press the
arrow down key on the right moment and I wait a bit, I see Grub.

Somebody an idea what I could do to see Grub just the normal way?

With regards,
Paul.

This mainboard:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTU-F.cfm
This VGA controller:
Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

We run a number of Supermicro servers with those boards in them with
Squeeze and have not had the issue

your describing and we have not changed grubs default install settings.

Does the board have IPMI installed? If so are the redirection settings
set correctly? Not that I can think of any

reason that it would affect grub from displaying.

Regards
Shane

Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 13-10-11 00:53, Shane Chrisp schreef:
> On 13/10/11 04:03, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
>> mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen. Only when I press the
>> arrow down key on the right moment and I wait a bit, I see Grub.
>>
>> Somebody an idea what I could do to see Grub just the normal way?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul.
>>
>> This mainboard:
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTU-F.cfm
>> This VGA controller:
>> Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)
>>
> We run a number of Supermicro servers with those boards in them with
> Squeeze and have not had the issue
> your describing and we have not changed grubs default install settings.

Strange. This is the second board I have of this type with an invisable
grub. The problem was direct after installing.

With the first board I had some unreproduceable VGA problems so I
returned it. After the boot logo what was always shown correct, the
screen stayed sometimes blank. Even in the bios.

> Does the board have IPMI installed?

Yes, IPIMI is by default on the board.

> If so are the redirection settings
> set correctly? Not that I can think of any
> reason that it would affect grub from displaying.

Hmmm, good idea. I've tried to disable "redirection after bios post" and
to disable the complete remote access in the bios. But no success.

After enabling it both, I've used the IPMI "SOL activate" command to see
the booting process. It starts well, but after "BMC responding" and
sometimes "Checking NVRAM.." I don't see anything anymore. So no Grub
there too.

With reagards,
Paul.

AMIBIOS(C)2008 American Megatrends, Inc.

Supermicro X8DTU/X8DTU-F BIOS Date: 08/27/11 Rev: 2.1a

CPU : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5645 @ 2.40GHz

Speed : 2.40 GHz

Press DEL to run Setup (F4 on Remote Keyboard)

Press F12 if you want to boot from the network

Press F11 for BBS POPUP (F3 on Remote Keyboard)

The QPI Frequency :5.866GT

The IMC is operating with DDR3 1333 Mhz

Memory Type :RDIMM(ECC mode)

Initializing USB Controllers .. Done.

--
Paul van der Vlis Linux systeembeheer, Groningen
http://www.vandervlis.nl

Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 13-10-11 00:53, Shane Chrisp schreef:
> On 13/10/11 04:03, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
>> mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen. Only when I press the
>> arrow down key on the right moment and I wait a bit, I see Grub.
>>
>> Somebody an idea what I could do to see Grub just the normal way?
>>
>> With regards,
>> Paul.
>>
>> This mainboard:
>> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTU-F.cfm
>> This VGA controller:
>> Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)
>>
> We run a number of Supermicro servers with those boards in them with
> Squeeze and have not had the issue
> your describing and we have not changed grubs default install settings.

Which firmware version do you use?
You can see that with "lshw | less"
I am using the latest version: "2.1a (08/27/11)".

And which IPMI-firmware version:
You can see that with "ipmitool mc info | grep Firmware"
I am using the latest version: 2.4 (in the bios they call it 2.04).

I've called Supermicro, the problem is unknown there.

With regards,
Paul.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 12-10-11 22:03, Paul van der Vlis schreef:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
> mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen. Only when I press the
> arrow down key on the right moment and I wait a bit, I see Grub.
>
> Somebody an idea what I could do to see Grub just the normal way?
>
> With regards,
> Paul.
>
> This mainboard:
> http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTU-F.cfm
> This VGA controller:
> Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G200eW WPCM450 (rev 0a)

I found what it is. The VGA card starts very slowly. When I change
GRUB_TIMEOUT in /etc/default/grub into "20" I see grub after 8 seconds.
The default is 5 seconds, so that's the reason I don't see grub.

In the other board what I've returned the starting time was slower, I
think now.

With regards,
Paul.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Paul van der Vlis

Op 13-10-11 10:37, Thomas Hebinck schreef:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> I've installed Debian Squeeze on a new Supermicro server with X8DTU-F
>> mainboard. But Grub2 gives just a black screen.
>
> did you try:
>
> GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Ah, this gives what I want, no delay!

Thanks!