Old 02-16-2008, 07:05 PM
"Wojciech Ziniewicz"

Default KVM over lan or similiar solution

Hey,
i would like to know what KVM over lan solution do You use or recommend.
I have some servers that have an integrated lights out 2 , but for
those that are more "entry level" , i have to buy some KVM's

Thanks and regards

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l

Old 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Ward Vandewege

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 09:05:16PM +0100, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> Hey,
> i would like to know what KVM over lan solution do You use or recommend.
> I have some servers that have an integrated lights out 2 , but for
> those that are more "entry level" , i have to buy some KVM's

Opengear.com

http://opengear.com/product-cm4148.html

I've got several of their CM4148 deployed, and these things rock. I just ssh
to 3000 + port number on the opengear and am connected to the serial port of
the server that's wired to that port. Couldn't be simpler than that.
There are many other ways to access the serial ports too, if you have
specific requirements.

Also, you can download full source for these things (!) and build firmare
images yourself:

http://www.opengearweb.org/

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Pong.be -( "Just wait, My crystal ball is infallible." -- Linus )-
Virtual hosting -( Torvalds, discussing the future of smart I/O hardware. )-

Old 02-18-2008, 07:19 AM
"Diego Rodriguez Gonzalez"

Here we have Raritan http://www.raritan.com/ KVM, running for the last
four years.
Plug a USB or PS/2 dongle to the server, and use your cat5 cabling
connect it to the KVM, then plug screen, keyboard and mouse to the KVM.
Moreover, they also have an upgrade to provide IP access to the KVM,
enabling remote access to servers.
Sure they have new products since we bought ours, check it out.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM
Rejo Zenger

++ 18/02/08 09:19 +0100 - Diego Rodriguez Gonzalez:
>Here we have Raritan http://www.raritan.com/ KVM, running for the last
>four years.

I have been using Raritan's KX II 101 [1].

While in general they work nice and provide you with a decent console to
a server with some problem, I found the Java application sometimes a bit
buggy. Once in a while, when the KVM was properly connected, I wasn't
able to establish a connection to the KVM. Or sometimes I could, but
then it did tell me there was no output to the screen (which should have
been there, as when connecting a regular monitor, there was output).

So, overall they work nicely, but from time to time I had difficulties
connecting (and you would always need remote hands in the datacenter, as
these KVM's are for a single machine only).

[1] http://www.raritan.com//kvm-switches/kvm-over-ip/kx2-101/

--
Rejo Zenger <rejo@zenger.nl> https://rejo.zenger.nl