Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM
Matthias Haegele

Default Recommendation for small Switch

Michelle Konzack wrote:

Hello,

I have a customer (small association whith vey less money) where I
switch the computers from Win98 and WinXP to Debian Etch. Currently
all is working fine, with the exception that the the workstations
handicap each other... The reason is the 10/100 MBit Switch.

Probably broadcasting problems? ...
With name resolution in place there shouldnt be any problems at this
small sized networks.

There are 3 Servers and 8 Workstaions plus an ADSL-Router and now I
am looking for a cheap Switch which has 4 ports with 1000MBit and
12 ports 10/100 Mbit, which would limit each Workstation to 100 MBit
since the Servers self can support several 100 MBit without any
problems.

Does anyone know a switch which has four GBit ports and the rest ONLY
10/100 MBit? I have found only a Trendnet (140 Euro) which has only
two Gbit-Ports but twentyfour 10/100Mbit.

(Dont think it would make sense to produce such a thing, some switches
have some Gigabit-uplink ports but dont know 1 with 4 ports ...)

So u probably want at least an 16 Port Gigabit (copper?) Switch ...
Why not limit the traffic of some ports for 100Mbit?.
(Or you could manually configure the NICs for only 100MBit as an
workaround ...)
Dunno for sure but maybe even cheap switches should provide this feature

D-Link should have some cheap (unmanaged) switches.

Note: The switch should be availlable in France/Germany...
Even if you know older ones which can be buyed on eBay and
such are interesting. (I need to know for what to search
and in general I prefer personaly a 3Com SuperStack III)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

hth
MH

Old 02-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Andre Keller

As allways I forgot the list...

http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/Layer3ManagedSwitches/FSM7328S.aspx

Old 02-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Michael Neuffer

Hi Michelle

Michelle Konzack wrote:

I have a customer (small association whith vey less money) where I
switch the computers from Win98 and WinXP to Debian Etch. Currently
all is working fine, with the exception that the the workstations
handicap each other... The reason is the 10/100 MBit Switch.
Does anyone know a switch which has four GBit ports and the rest ONLY
10/100 MBit? I have found only a Trendnet (140 Euro) which has only
two Gbit-Ports but twentyfour 10/100Mbit.

Note: The switch should be availlable in France/Germany...
Even if you know older ones which can be buyed on eBay and
such are interesting. (I need to know for what to search
and in general I prefer personaly a 3Com SuperStack

I have this one. I think it should be OK for what you need it, even so it has
16 1Gbit ports.

http://www3.atelco.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=20401&agid=116

Cheers
Mike

Old 02-16-2008, 11:04 PM
Craig Sanders

On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 08:18:47PM +0100, Andre Keller wrote:
>> Does anyone know a switch which has four GBit ports and the rest ONLY
>> 10/100 MBit? I have found only a Trendnet (140 Euro) which has only
>> two Gbit-Ports but twentyfour 10/100Mbit.
>
> http://www.netgear.com/Products/Switches/Layer3ManagedSwitches/FSM7328S.aspx

yep, the netgear switches are fine. i've got a similar one (16-port
gigabit switch, can't remember the model - one of the unmanaged ones) as
a "private GB backbone" network for my main servers. they all have an
extra ethernet card just for server-to-server comms (nfs mounts, rsync,
scp, ssh, heartbeat, nagios and other monitoring tools, apt-get updates
from the local mirror, etc).

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>

BOFH excuse #86:

Runt packets

Old 02-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 16.02.08 17:00, Matthias Haegele wrote:
> Probably broadcasting problems? ...
> With name resolution in place there shouldnt be any problems at this
> small sized networks.

Or maybe it's s switching hub, not a real switch?
then used against you.