Old 08-26-2011, 05:52 PM
Máirín Duffy

Default Question about Anaconda graphics for F16

Hi,

So for the past couple of releases or so the Anaconda GUI (and Firstboot
as well, I'm pretty sure) display at full screen size rather than stay
limited to 800x600 px as they used to be.

The gradient banner at the top of Anaconda looks odd because of this;
it's not long enough to cover the full width of the window. Firstboot at
least stretches out the left banner it has although this looks a bit
pixelated (at least when I'm running it in debug mode now it does. )

I am wondering what options are possible then to get Anaconda's banner
looking nice for F16. I poked around the anaconda.glade file; I think we
have a couple of options but I'm not sure how to do one of them:

OPTION #1: no gradient, left-align Fedora logo

This would basically look the same as it did pre-full screen mode, but
without the gradient. The glade file would have to be changed; the 'X
Align' value on the image in the glade file should be changed from 0.5
to 0, and the 'X Pad' value should be set to something like '10'.

OPTION #2: keep the gradient, but stretch it full screen.

I don't know how to do this, but I know it's possible... create a
container 105 px tall, and set the gradient as its background image with
'repeat' set. Then, place the Fedora logo in that container, aligned as
explained above.

I found some references to setting a widget/container background image
in GTK+ here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2007-April/msg00045.html
http://www.scribd.com/doc/45906237/Pygtk2-Tut

What do you think?

~m

Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 AM
Ales Kozumplik

Hi,

OPTION #1: no gradient, left-align Fedora logo

This would basically look the same as it did pre-full screen mode, but
without the gradient. The glade file would have to be changed; the 'X
Align' value on the image in the glade file should be changed from 0.5
to 0, and the 'X Pad' value should be set to something like '10'.

This is simple and looks approximately
http://akozumpl.fedorapeople.org/aligned_to_the_left.png

OPTION #2: keep the gradient, but stretch it full screen.

I don't know how to do this, but I know it's possible... create a
container 105 px tall, and set the gradient as its background image with
'repeat' set. Then, place the Fedora logo in that container, aligned as
explained above.

The repeating probably has to be done through a theming engine,
something like
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5868114/how-to-decorate-a-gtk-window-like-eg-the-gnome-panel

He uses the stretch property but that's not exactly what we want (though
if we make the height fixed then the result could look like repeat-x).
There could a better way but I need to think about it a bit more. For
now I would suggest providing a gradient-less image and going with
option #1 for f16. Once we are on gtk3 we should even be able to theme
via CSS.

Ales

Old 08-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Martin Gracik

--

Martin Gracik

> So for the past couple of releases or so the Anaconda GUI (and
> Firstboot
> as well, I'm pretty sure) display at full screen size rather than stay
> limited to 800x600 px as they used to be.
>
> The gradient banner at the top of Anaconda looks odd because of this;
> it's not long enough to cover the full width of the window. Firstboot
> at
> least stretches out the left banner it has although this looks a bit
> pixelated (at least when I'm running it in debug mode now it does.
> )
>
> I am wondering what options are possible then to get Anaconda's banner
> looking nice for F16. I poked around the anaconda.glade file; I think
> we
> have a couple of options but I'm not sure how to do one of them:
>
> OPTION #1: no gradient, left-align Fedora logo
>
> This would basically look the same as it did pre-full screen mode, but
> without the gradient. The glade file would have to be changed; the 'X
> Align' value on the image in the glade file should be changed from 0.5
> to 0, and the 'X Pad' value should be set to something like '10'.
>
> OPTION #2: keep the gradient, but stretch it full screen.
>
> I don't know how to do this, but I know it's possible... create a
> container 105 px tall, and set the gradient as its background image
> with
> 'repeat' set. Then, place the Fedora logo in that container, aligned
> as
> explained above.
>
> I found some references to setting a widget/container background image
> in GTK+ here:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2007-April/msg00045.html
> http://www.scribd.com/doc/45906237/Pygtk2-Tut
>
> What do you think?

There's an OPTION #3:

Don't make the window fullscreen. Remove the logo from the window.
Show a different background image (wallpaper) with logo (or whatever) for each release.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Chris Lumens

> There's an OPTION #3:
>
> Don't make the window fullscreen. Remove the logo from the window.
> Show a different background image (wallpaper) with logo (or whatever) for each release.

Being fullscreen is really nice for the partitioning UI, though, because
we need a lot of space for that one.

Not being fullscreen but having a background image is what we did
somewhere back in the RHEL4 and early Fedora days. I don't exactly
remember when, but I remember looking like that.

- Chris

Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Máirín Duffy

Hi Ales,

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 10:55 +0200, Ales Kozumplik wrote:
> On 08/26/2011 07:52 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> > OPTION #1: no gradient, left-align Fedora logo
> >
> > This would basically look the same as it did pre-full screen mode, but
> > without the gradient. The glade file would have to be changed; the 'X
> > Align' value on the image in the glade file should be changed from 0.5
> > to 0, and the 'X Pad' value should be set to something like '10'.
>
> This is simple and looks approximately
> http://akozumpl.fedorapeople.org/aligned_to_the_left.png

> He uses the stretch property but that's not exactly what we want (though
> if we make the height fixed then the result could look like repeat-x).
> There could a better way but I need to think about it a bit more. For
> now I would suggest providing a gradient-less image and going with
> option #1 for f16. Once we are on gtk3 we should even be able to theme
> via CSS.

This looks good; I agree then we should go with option #1. I'll provide
gradient-less graphics for F16 and have them packaged this week.

Thanks,
~m

Old 09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Martin Gracik

On Tue, 2011-09-06 at 13:25 -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > There's an OPTION #3:
> >
> > Don't make the window fullscreen. Remove the logo from the window.
> > Show a different background image (wallpaper) with logo (or whatever) for each release.
>
> Being fullscreen is really nice for the partitioning UI, though, because
> we need a lot of space for that one.

Well, what screen resolution would you say is the standard now? Which
most people use? 1680x1050? Maybe even 1920x1080? For sure netbooks are
something different, but are they the majority of fedora users?

If we need this kind of resolution for the partitioning UI then I think
it's not a very good design and we should focus on redesigning it,
instead of making the window bigger.

> Not being fullscreen but having a background image is what we did
> somewhere back in the RHEL4 and early Fedora days. I don't exactly
> remember when, but I remember looking like that.

Well looks like anaconda was a trend setter back then, because almost
every new OS I've seen in last year does not use fullscreen for it's
install window. But we are now.

I think I'm the only one against the fullscreen in the team, but I'm
never going to give it up. For me it just looks so 80s.

Martin Gracik <mgracik@redhat.com>