Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 PM
Bachsau NetWorX

Default Changing MySQL debian-sys-maint

Does anyone know, if it's possible to change the name of debian-sys-maint MySQL user without getting trouble on upgrades? Of course I found out it is defined together with the password in the configuration files.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM
Ron

On 8/3/11 3:19PM, Bachsau NetWorX wrote:
> Does anyone know, if it's possible to change the name of debian-sys-maint MySQL user without getting trouble on upgrades? Of course I found out it is defined together with the password in the configuration files.

Not having tried this, I would think the generated /etc/mysql/debian.cnf
is used by any other package and not the user debian-sys-maint itself.
I'd think its possible, but perhaps there are people who have already tried.

Regards,

Ron Ursem
Debian System Administrator

Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Laurence Southon

On 03/08/11 14:19, Bachsau NetWorX wrote:
> Does anyone know, if it's possible to change the name of debian-sys-maint MySQL user without getting trouble on upgrades? Of course I found out it is defined together with the password in the configuration files.

Yes, you can. Indeed you have to when setting up replication as the
password held in the database must match the passwd in
/etc/mysql/debian.cnf, as it gets used for various tasks on start up.

So you need to change it in both those places.

Regards,

LS
--
Laurence Southon
Tiger Computing, Bexley

Old 08-04-2011, 02:40 AM
Bachsau WebWorX

When setting up replication you'll have to change the password, not
username. I'm talking about changing the username, as I want phpMyAdmin
for my customers but don't want anyone brute-forcing it. Having a
well-known root account makes me nervous.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Laurence Southon

On 04/08/11 03:40, Bachsau WebWorX wrote:
> I'm talking about changing the username

Sorry, answered the wrong question!

The username is not hard coded in the debian-start script, or the mysql
script in /etc/logrotate.d.

My reading of the mysql-server postinst script at
/var/lib/dpkg/info/mysql-server-5.0.postinst is that the username amd
password in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf do not get replaced if the file exists
and the contents are correct. That section of the script is the same for
mysql-server-5.1.

So it *looks like* you could change that username, though whether
preservation will still be true for future upgardes is another question.

Regards,

LS
--
Laurence Southon
Tiger Computing, Bexley

Old 08-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Bachsau WebWorX

Hmm, I just tried. It works, but a sys-maint-user gets recreated by
debconf even though it's not used, which makes it useless. I tried to
delete it, and even deleted /etc/mysql/debian.cnf just to see what
happens. Guess what? It still gets recreated. Reading through the
postinst-scripts I found out this is done by MySQL-Queries, but how is
it able to create a user without having a working root-login?

Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 AM
Dan Wallis

2011/8/4 Bachsau WebWorX <webmaster@bachsau.com>:
> but how is it able to create a user without having a working root-login?

Without having read the code, this may be one option:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html

Old 08-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 08/04/2011 10:40 AM, Bachsau WebWorX wrote:
> When setting up replication you'll have to change the password, not
> username. I'm talking about changing the username, as I want phpMyAdmin
> for my customers but don't want anyone brute-forcing it. Having a
> well-known root account makes me nervous.

In that case, you have to put in place something like fail2ban or
similar, or password protect the PHPMyAdmin access. Trying to remove the
debian-sys-maint user will only bring you troubles, and wont be a
protection against bad customers.

Thomas Goirand (zigo)