Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default CPU Cooler for 1U (AMD Athlon XP 3000+)

Hello Andreas,

> Hello,
> in former times we used "Cooljag" pure-copper heatsinks for 1U, I can't
> remeber where we got them in Germany, but we might have some left. (We
> switched to Intel-based platforms).
>
> BTW: Most Athlon-based boards don't fit in 1U as the "sound-turret" was
> higher than 1U. So we simply un-soldered the sound-turret

Now I have found on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.de/EKL-CPU-Kuhler-EKL-Carved-64-copper-1U-activ-/150632137310?pt=L%C3%BCfter_K%C3%BChler&hash=item2 31260025e

and the price ist not very funny, so I searched for it through Google:

http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/397011_-carved-64-copper-1u-active-ekl.html

and now I think, THIS prices are acceptable!

Must only figure out, whether the screws fit the holes of the Mainboard.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France itsystems@tdnet
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice) Gewerbe Straße 3
50, rue de Soultz 77694 Kehl/Germany
67100 Strasbourg/France Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-176-86004575 office

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Ross Halliday

Hi Michelle,

> Now I have found on eBay:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.de/EKL-CPU-Kuhler-EKL-Carved-64-copper-1U-activ-
> /150632137310?pt=L%C3%BCfter_K%C3%BChler&hash=item2 31260025e
>
> and the price ist not very funny, so I searched for it through Google:
>
> http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/OffersOfProduct/397011_-carved-64-
> copper-1u-active-ekl.html
>
> and now I think, THIS prices are acceptable!
>
> Must only figure out, whether the screws fit the holes of the
> Mainboard.

That is certainly a decent price for a 1U cooler, but I'm not so sure the mounting will work. It sounds like your motherboard has something extra, which may be nice, but the the spec for K8 series of Athlons (Athlon XP is K8, non-XP is K7) fit into Socket A. This is very similar in appearance to Intel's Socket 370; I think someone mentioned P3 coolers earlier. A P3 cooler would work if it could suck enough heat off of the chip. In fact you may see some P3-era Cooler Master heatsinks are slightly smaller versions of OEM AMD ones. The linked HS/F is Socket 754 and above which uses a proper mounting bracket with tapped holes, instead of the little tabs on the socket itself to which a heatsink clips on.

Cheers
---
Ross Halliday
Network Operations