Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Michelle Konzack

Default CPU Cooler for 1U (AMD Athlon XP 3000+)

Hello *,

I have some spare AMD Athlon XP 3000+ Boards, which I want to use in my
Internet, but unfortunately they are without Heatsink/Cooler.

Can someone tell me, where I can get (germany) Heatsink, Cooler or Fans
suitable for 1U Server and AMD Athlon XP 3000+?

The Mainboard has four holes around the CPU socket, so I think, there
must be a Heatsink, but currently I find on eBay only Xeon, AM2, P4 and
such stuff.

Note: If someone has used spare parts, they would be welcome too.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France itsystems@tdnet
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice) Gewerbe Strasse 3
50, rue de Soultz 77694 Kehl/Germany
67100 Strasbourg/France Tel office: +49-176-86004575
Tel mobil: +33-6-61925193 Tel mobil: +49-177-9351947

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de

Old 07-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Norbert Kiszka

Hi.

AM2 cooler probably can work - but I’m not sure. Coolers for P3 must
work, but it can overheat on this (P3).

Try look on some market places with used devices or something like that.
Eventually on internet auctions.

Remember one thing, AMD K7 and AMD K8 processors (Athlon XP 3000+ is
probably K7) works usually bad over 50 degrees, very bad over 70 and can
(officially) crash over 90-95.

BTW. Don't put Your fingers into working small Spire coolers - it hurts

PS. This is bad mail list for this topic, try
debian-user@lists.debian.org next time.

Good luck.

--
Norbert Kiszka
aka norbert_ramzes, ramzes
JID/mail: norbert@linux.pl
mail: norbert@jakilinux.org
mail: norbert@osnews.pl
Grupa OSmedia - http://osmedia.pl/ dawniej:
Grupa JakiLinux - http://jakilinux.org/
http://jakilinux.org/author/norbert_ramzes/
http://osnews.pl/
http://osblog.pl/
http://polishlinux.org/
http://wolnakultura.info/
http://blog.jakilinux.org/
http://linuxnews.pl/
http://planeta.jakilinux.org/

Old 07-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Andreas John

Hello,
in former times we used "Cooljag" pure-copper heatsinks for 1U, I can't
remeber where we got them in Germany, but we might have some left. (We
switched to Intel-based platforms).

BTW: Most Athlon-based boards don't fit in 1U as the "sound-turret" was
higher than 1U. So we simply un-soldered the sound-turret

rgds,

--
Andreas John
net-lab GmbH | Frankfurter Str. 99 | 63067 Offenbach

Old 07-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Norbert Kiszka

Damn, sometimes I read too fast...

I think, 1U can be problematic - maybe some big vent hole for bigger cooler?

Or... recombine other (1U) cooler. Personally, I would try with AM2 -
maybe it match with K7 without modifications.

In some cases (too big cooler), is necessary to resolder some capacitors
in other place(solder plice or on SHORT wires - with glue when it
fly..)/position(for ex. horizontally instead of vertically). Anyway,
think over before You do that, and remember to check capacitor
polarization.

In case of capacitor replace (new instead of old one), use 85C or low
esr - second thing is better but is more difficult to buy (certainly in
Poland) - it can be take from some other device, but better when is not
older than 3-4 years and cannot be NOT used more than half of year -
monthly not used (new and old) electrolytic capacitor can work "bad",
especially on some first hours or some days. In rare cases, tantalum
will be good or very good.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:20 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Norbert Kiszka,

Was my last message gonne to you directly? Then sorry, it was an
accident because normaly I respond always to list!

> I think, 1U can be problematic - maybe some big vent hole for bigger cooler?

Not possibel, because I have only a 12U rack and with the Switch (1U),
UPS (3U), Intranet Server (4U) and three Workstations (2x 1U, 1x 2U) it
is now full...

> Or... recombine other (1U) cooler. Personally, I would try with AM2 -
> maybe it match with K7 without modifications.

I will try it, but unfortunately I have not found a schematik for the
mounting holes, so I can not check this...

> In some cases (too big cooler), is necessary to resolder some capacitors
> in other place(solder plice or on SHORT wires - with glue when it
> fly..)/position(for ex. horizontally instead of vertically). Anyway,
> think over before You do that, and remember to check capacitor
> polarization.

I do not think it is neccesary, because I have the 4 mountig holes for a
passive cooler on the Mainboard and much space arround. Grmpf! I have
a bunch of Xeon Cooler here, which would fit the height, but they have
two centric screws which logicaly do not fit the Asus Mainboard.

> In case of capacitor replace (new instead of old one), use 85C or low
> esr - second thing is better but is more difficult to buy (certainly in
> Poland) - it can be take from some other device, but better when is not
> older than 3-4 years and cannot be NOT used more than half of year -
> monthly not used (new and old) electrolytic capacitor can work "bad",
> especially on some first hours or some days. In rare cases, tantalum
> will be good or very good.

Yeah, soldering the Mainboard seems to be cheaper then buying a new
Dual-Head Graphik Card (>400 Euro) and if I realy do not find a suitable
Heatsink, I use one from the Electronic Shop... and make my own one but
the Problem is, they are all Alu-Heatsinks and not Cooper.

My BIG Arctic Cooling Cooper-Lite has 0.48C/W and it has 80x78mm which
is much smaller then the space available for the 4 mounting holes and
the 1U chassis has enough placements for 40x40mm fans which blow fresh
air over the passive cooler...

Now I go to my Office in Kehl and will try something with this pig.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France itsystems@tdnet
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice) Gewerbe Strae 3
50, rue de Soultz 77694 Kehl/Germany
67100 Strasbourg/France Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-176-86004575 office

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886