Old 06-03-2011, 04:55 AM
Timur Irmatov

Default Oracle on Debian.. or Red Hat?

Hi!

Currently all our servers run Debian, with just a couple of Oracle
servers under Red Hat. We have a couple Oracle servers under Debian
too. We're using Red Hat because our consultant says that Oracle runs
much more stable with Red Hat than Debian. Our team of system
administrators prefers Debian and does not want to support Red Hat
servers, if possible.

Do you have any strong evidence/ experience that support this claim
that Red Hat is better for Oracle than Debian? Any advice on this?

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@jabber.ru

Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 AM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, Timur Irmatov said:
> Hi!
>

> Currently all our servers run Debian, with just a couple of Oracle
> servers under Red Hat. We have a couple Oracle servers under Debian
> too. We're using Red Hat because our consultant says that Oracle runs
> much more stable with Red Hat than Debian. Our team of system
> administrators prefers Debian and does not want to support Red Hat
> servers, if possible.
>
> Do you have any strong evidence/ experience that support this claim
> that Red Hat is better for Oracle than Debian? Any advice on this?

I've run it on both, and it is no worse on Debian than it is on Red Hat.
The only reason to prefer one over the other is if you actually want
paid Oracle support - they do not support Debian for anything remotely
enterprisey.

Cheers,
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 10-28-2011, 03:32 AM
Andres Migliazzo

Oracle sells their "Unbreakable Linux" and they are not releaseing the ASMlib for Red Hat 6.

https://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=2183312

Andres

Old 10-28-2011, 02:00 PM
Carlos Bergero

Just to mess with you, you have a couple of Oracle over RH and other
over Debian, if they have similar load/use/etc, cant you get some
stability measures from both servers and evaluate it? May be you already
try this, so sorry but that would be the best evaluation.

Sincerely,
Carlos

Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Jose Guzman

If you have any support from Oracle, it will be useless the moment they
figure out you are not running their software on a supported OS. If you
don't ever need their direct support (ie. open a case and send requested
log files, etc), you may get away running Oracle on Debian.

I did it a long time ago, back in the 8i days. It ran better on Debian
than on the supported Suse version we had to install it on later due to
a manager's paranoia. Just be sure you are using the same library
versions that the supported redhat offers. But test for yourself as
Carlos suggests to be sure.

OTH, you may entice your sysadmins to play with redhat by suggesting
them that being savvy in it may add value to their resumes.

If you choose to go the redhat way, I suggest you use the oracle
version of redhat (oracle enterprise linux), as they've made it
ridiculously easy to install and support their products (yum repos and a
package called something like: oracle-install-ready.rpm).

Good luck

Old 10-28-2011, 03:23 PM
"C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP"

My expectation is that Oracle optimizes its product for and tests its
product on a number of systems, none of which is Debian.

If there's not a package in the repository, it's probably because
there's not enough internal (Debian) support for the software, and
because it does not comply with the Debian Social Contract.

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

I also expect that if you wanted to badly enough, you could put a
wrapper package together which would fetch the software, display the
EULA, prompt for acceptance, and install the software in a
debian-friendly way. You could probably get such a package into the
non-free or contrib Section along with packages such as
flashplugin-nonfree:

$ apt-cache show flashplugin-nonfree | grep -A3 WARNING
WARNING: Installing this Debian package causes the
Adobe Flash Player to be downloaded from www.adobe.com.
The End User License Agreement of the Adobe Flash Player
is available at www.adobe.com.

This would require that you become familiar with the layout of the
installed software and how it uses system resources. I would also
strongly recommend building a SELinux policy.

I do not intend to run a different OS on a system which I consider to be
a part of my AS solely because it is the only "supported" platform for
the software. It feels too much like giving a third party full control
of part of my network. If I were in this situation, I would either use
a different database or require the database conform to the LSB and The
Debian Wayâ„¢.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base

C.J.

- http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Benjamin_Franklin