Old 04-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Victor Sterpu

Default Debian compatible fiber optic network cards

Hello

What fiber optic netowk cards are copmpatible by default with debian's
kernel?

Can you give some models?

Thank you

Old 04-29-2011, 06:28 PM
"C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP"

I got a bunch of NC3134 cards with NC6132 and NC3131 modules:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10057_div/10057_div.HTML

I'm sure there's something more recent that works just fine.* I'd look in to intel hardware.* I've only been able to push about 300Mbit/s through the devices.* I have a feeling this has something to do with linux's lack of support for jumbo frames on the 82542:

http://www.erchi.com/hp_sides/oars/DISK1_CURRENT/ADVISORIES/SERVICE/EU020111_SW01.HTML

I believe that a patch in 2.6.27 fixed this for some revisions of the 82542, though:

http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg05566.html

Cheers,

C.J.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
> I'm sure there's something more recent that works just fine. I'd look
> in to intel hardware. I've only been able to push about 300Mbit/s
> through the devices. I have a feeling this has something to do with
> linux's lack of support for jumbo frames on the 82542:
>
> http://www.erchi.com/hp_sides/oars/DISK1_CURRENT/ADVISORIES/SERVICE/EU020111_SW01.HTML

Hmm, that thing is old and lacks a lot of the good stuff. It might well not
be able to do linerate without jumbo packets unless your CPU is really fast
(and multicore does not help much with these old MSI-X-challenged NIC
chipsets).

Intel gigabit NICs based on the 82576 just plain rock, and work well in
Linux. You can easily find 1000BASE-SX and 1000BASE-LX NICs with those. It
will do full-duplex line-rate without jumbo frames if your CPUs can manage
to keep it busy.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 05-02-2011, 03:03 PM
"Timh B"

On Sat, April 30, 2011 03:25, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2011, C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP wrote:
>> I'm sure there's something more recent that works just fine. I'd look
>> in to intel hardware. I've only been able to push about 300Mbit/s
>> through the devices. I have a feeling this has something to do with
>> linux's lack of support for jumbo frames on the 82542:
>>
>> http://www.erchi.com/hp_sides/oars/DISK1_CURRENT/ADVISORIES/SERVICE/EU020111_SW01.HTML
>
> Hmm, that thing is old and lacks a lot of the good stuff. It might well
> not
> be able to do linerate without jumbo packets unless your CPU is really
> fast
> (and multicore does not help much with these old MSI-X-challenged NIC
> chipsets).
>
> Intel gigabit NICs based on the 82576 just plain rock, and work well in
> Linux. You can easily find 1000BASE-SX and 1000BASE-LX NICs with those.
> It
> will do full-duplex line-rate without jumbo frames if your CPUs can manage
> to keep it busy.

Im currently running the 82599EB 10gig cards from Intel (2x SFP+) and they
push on quite nice without much trouble, I've managed to fill both inbound
and outbound (duplex) with very little tuning (txqueue/sysctls). Not that
expensive either.

--
//Timh