-   -   Debian compatible fiber optic network cards (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/519948-debian-compatible-fiber-optic-network-cards.html)

Victor Sterpu 04-29-2011 04:48 PM

Debian compatible fiber optic network cards

Hello

What fiber optic netowk cards are copmpatible by default with debian's
kernel?

Can you give some models?

Thank you

"C.J. Adams-Collier KF7BMP" 04-29-2011 06:28 PM

Debian compatible fiber optic network cards

I got a bunch of NC3134 cards with NC6132 and NC3131 modules:

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/10057_div/10057_div.HTML

I'm sure there's something more recent that works just fine.* I'd look in to intel hardware.* I've only been able to push about 300Mbit/s through the devices.* I have a feeling this has something to do with linux's lack of support for jumbo frames on the 82542:

http://www.erchi.com/hp_sides/oars/DISK1_CURRENT/ADVISORIES/SERVICE/EU020111_SW01.HTML

I believe that a patch in 2.6.27 fixed this for some revisions of the 82542, though:

http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg05566.html

Cheers,

C.J.