Old 03-03-2011, 10:34 AM
"Rodolfo Barbosa"

Default Fork of Dell Powervault MD3200

Hi Guys,

I hope not be misunderstood.

Every time I have to buy a server I use to look at his
capability matrix. I had the same issue with Dell hardware
in the past.

For my experience HP is the hardware maker that has the best
support for Debian.

Please don't misunderstood me! I'm not giving a lecture.
This is just a tip to You and is not my intention to
criticize the person that have stated this threat.

Best regards
--
Rodolfo Barbosa
Lunar Consultoria

Old 03-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 03/03/2011 07:34 PM, Rodolfo Barbosa wrote:
> Every time I have to buy a server I use to look at his
> capability matrix. I had the same issue with Dell hardware
> in the past.

Dell servers are more electric heaters than computers. They consume
about 3 times what a Supermicro would, they are also a way more
expensive, and as you could see, have very poor compatibility with Linux
and Debian. Reading that you need windows to setup the raid array just
made me smile a lot. Dell is always a bad choice for servers, as much as
I could experience.

And don't tell me that you are using Dell because of their business same
day support. For the price of 2 Dell servers, you can buy 3 Supermicro,
which gives you one spare server in case of a failure.

> For my experience HP is the hardware maker that has the best
> support for Debian.

They don't only have the best support, they also have been great
sponsors of the Debian project, Debconf, and so on. It may be the only
hardware maker that does support for Debian. You are absolutely right to
do advertisement for them. The only issue is price.

So I 100% agree with you, and I also agree that we should write about
it. It's a good return that HP deserves, for supporting Linux and Debian
in general.

Oh, and that's not only truth for servers. It's as well truth for
printers, scanners, etc. We have a big laser printer/scanner/fax
machine, and it works perfectly under Linux. I had absolutely nothing to
setup to have it to work with Sane, and it was quite easy with CUPS.

Thomas

Old 03-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Carlos Acedo

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:48, Thomas Goirand <thomas@goirand.fr> wrote:

On 03/03/2011 07:34 PM, Rodolfo Barbosa wrote:

> Every time I have to buy a server I use to look at his

> capability matrix. I had the same issue with Dell hardware

> in the past.

Dell servers are more electric heaters than computers. They consume

about 3 times what a Supermicro would, they are also a way more

expensive, and as you could see, have very poor compatibility with Linux

and Debian. Reading that you need windows to setup the raid array just

made me smile a lot. Dell is always a bad choice for servers, as much as

I could experience.

And don't tell me that you are using Dell because of their business same

day support. For the price of 2 Dell servers, you can buy 3 Supermicro,

which gives you one spare server in case of a failure.

I have two power edge and a md3000i SAN array and I didn't have problems installing and running Debian, ok I miss a web interface for the SAN, but they supply an app to configure it from linux.

I don't have numbers, but I haven't notice a huge electric*consumption with my servers, about the support service, I can only compare with SUN, which is worst than DELL, things like closing tickets when they are not resolved never happend with DELL

Supermicro is cheaper, but I have heard bad things about the hardware*reliability, but this is only what I've heard.

> For my experience HP is the hardware maker that has the best

> support for Debian.

They don't only have the best support, they also have been great

sponsors of the Debian project, Debconf, and so on. It may be the only

hardware maker that does support for Debian. You are absolutely right to

do advertisement for them. The only issue is price.

So I 100% agree with you, and I also agree that we should write about

it. It's a good return that HP deserves, for supporting Linux and Debian

in general.

Oh, and that's not only truth for servers. It's as well truth for

printers, scanners, etc. We have a big laser printer/scanner/fax

machine, and it works perfectly under Linux. I had absolutely nothing to

setup to have it to work with Sane, and it was quite easy with CUPS.

*I've heard good things about HP, but their servers are out of my budget.*
And, again, about linux support, DELL sell laptops with ubuntu preinstalled, which is something valuable considering the lack of O.S. choice.

I'm not pro DELL or anything like that, I just don't think they are anti linux
--
Carlos.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Thomas Goirand

On 03/04/2011 08:16 PM, Carlos Acedo wrote:
> Supermicro is cheaper, but I have heard bad things about the
> hardware reliability, but this is only what I've heard.

Let me give you my own statistics then.

Out of nearly a hundred server, we had 2 motherboard failures over many
many years, and maybe also 3 broken PSU (and not surprisingly, 2 in the
same data center which we believe may have a not so stable power, and
one because the server was using more power than the PSU was designed
for). That's it...

I think that's quite a good rate, don't you think?

Thomas

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Andrew Miehs

I have had good experience with Supermicro except for one series*4 years ago. IIRC There was an issue on the motherboard that kept frying memory and eventually the power regulator on the motherboard. Unfortunately Supermicro was not able to deliver replacement*motherboards in a timely manner. We ended up moving to HP DL 360s and couldn't have been happier.

*
Oh - and the supermicro ILO support used to be very buggy - broken - don't know if it has since been fixed.
*
*