-   -   udev and renaming interfaces (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/478891-udev-renaming-interfaces.html)

Timur Irmatov 01-20-2011 09:49 AM

udev and renaming interfaces

Hi!

On one of our server we have renamed 'eth0' to be 'lan' interfaces. We
have done it by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
Later we have discovered that some tools (iptraf and vlan package's
support for vlan in /etc/network/interfaces) do not like this naming.
So we have decided to rename that interface back to eth0. We have
edited 70-persistent-net.rules to be empty, rebooted the machine...
and it came back with 'lan' interface. How did it manage to remember
that name?

P.S. System is Debian Lenny, fully updated.

--
Timur Irmatov, xmpp:irmatov@jabber.ru

Diego Rodriguez Gonzalez 01-20-2011 09:56 AM

udev and renaming interfaces

dpkg-reconfigure your kernel package to refresh initramfs.

On one of our server we have renamed 'eth0' to be 'lan' interfaces. We
have done it by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules.
Later we have discovered that some tools (iptraf and vlan package's
support for vlan in /etc/network/interfaces) do not like this naming.
So we have decided to rename that interface back to eth0. We have
edited 70-persistent-net.rules to be empty, rebooted the machine...
and it came back with 'lan' interface. How did it manage to remember
that name?

P.S. System is Debian Lenny, fully updated.

--
Diego Rodríguez González
Ferrocarriles de Via Estrecha

"Raoul Bhatia [IPAX]" 01-20-2011 10:32 AM

On 01/20/2011 11:56 AM, Diego Rodriguez Gonzalez wrote:
> dpkg-reconfigure your kernel package to refresh initramfs.

easier: use "update-initramfs -cut"

i normally use "update-initramfs -cut -k all" to re-generate all
initrd images for all installed (and known) kernels.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc. email. r.bhatia@ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OG web. http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11 email. office@ipax.at
1190 Wien tel. +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien fax. +43 1 3670030 15