Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Michelle Konzack

Default x345 and new drives with data

Hello IBM eServer experts,

Now I have used the ServRAID CD to setup my system and it just works.

I have left one bay spare, because I have to copy data from existing
drives, but now I have encountered a problem:

The server was off when I put the drive into Bay6 (ID5) and then I
bootet the ServRAID CD. The setup recommended not to do anything
(erasing the drives).

I have added the new drive and rebooted the machine..

Oops... No partition anymore.

Is this an errorr by me, the ServRAID CD or where the partiotions lost,
when my NEC was crashed?

Currently I run gpart to recover the partitions, but it is not realy
funny, on a 147 GByte drive

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de

Old 01-19-2011, 09:03 AM
Mariusz Kruk

On Monday 17 of January 2011, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello IBM eServer experts,
>
> Now I have used the ServRAID CD to setup my system and it just works.
>
> I have left one bay spare, because I have to copy data from existing
> drives, but now I have encountered a problem:
>
> The server was off when I put the drive into Bay6 (ID5) and then I
> bootet the ServRAID CD. The setup recommended not to do anything
> (erasing the drives).
>
> I have added the new drive and rebooted the machine..
>
> Oops... No partition anymore.
>
> Is this an errorr by me, the ServRAID CD or where the partiotions lost,
> when my NEC was crashed?
>
> Currently I run gpart to recover the partitions, but it is not realy
> funny, on a 147 GByte drive

If I understand you right, you just plugged the disk into the machine but
didn't configure it in anyway and therefore it isn't part of any array, right?
If I remember correctly, if you don't make a logical drive (in case of a
single disk you have to make a degraded RAID-1 IIRC, or a single-disk RAID-0 -
I'm not sure) from it, the controller won't show the disk to the OS.
But you say that you see a disk but no partitions. So I'm a bit puzzled what
do you see and what you don't see.
As I understand, you have bays ID0-ID5 filled with new disks and you already
configured your array and created logical disks which are seen by the OS ok,
right?
What else can you see from the OS? (and what does the RaidMan say? Can be run
from OS, or from the ServeRAID support CD - results should be the same :->).
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something, please clarify then :-)

..Kruk@epsilon.eu.org...
.http://epsilon.eu.org/.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Mariusz Kruk,

> If I understand you right, you just plugged the disk into the machine but
> didn't configure it in anyway and therefore it isn't part of any array, right?

No, when I started the ServRAID CD, I jumped over the point, where it
ask, whether the erase all drives to start a new configuration.

In the manager, I selected the new drive and added it and now I have
three drives:

A) /dev/sda Raid 1 (2 x 73 GByte) ID0 + ID1
B) /dev/sdb Raid 5 (3 x 147 GByte) ID2 + ID3 + ID4

C) /dev/sdc Volume (1 x 147 GByte) ID5
This is what I have added as pure volume and
later I will declare ID5 as HotSpare for B)

> If I remember correctly, if you don't make a logical drive (in case of a

Not right, it ia the Logical drive "C" and as such shown under Debian

> single disk you have to make a degraded RAID-1 IIRC, or a single-disk RAID-0 -
> I'm not sure) from it, the controller won't show the disk to the OS.

It is shown correctly.

> But you say that you see a disk but no partitions. So I'm a bit puzzled what
> do you see and what you don't see.

It is REALY empty as someone has "shred" the drive entirely. But this
can not be, since I simple CPU failure on the old NEC Server would not
do such damage.

> As I understand, you have bays ID0-ID5 filled with new disks and you already
> configured your array and created logical disks which are seen by the OS ok,
> right?

See above.

> What else can you see from the OS? (and what does the RaidMan say? Can be run
> from OS, or from the ServeRAID support CD - results should be the same :->).
> Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something, please clarify then :-)

Please read my explanation above.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

Old 01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Mariusz Kruk

On Wednesday 19 of January 2011, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > If I understand you right, you just plugged the disk into the machine but
> > didn't configure it in anyway and therefore it isn't part of any array,
> > right?
> No, when I started the ServRAID CD, I jumped over the point, where it
> ask, whether the erase all drives to start a new configuration.

OK. Sorry then for causing confusion. I must have mistaken it with situation
from older version, or even another controller. My bad.

> > But you say that you see a disk but no partitions. So I'm a bit puzzled
> > what do you see and what you don't see.
> It is REALY empty as someone has "shred" the drive entirely. But this
> can not be, since I simple CPU failure on the old NEC Server would not
> do such damage.

Indeed it seems strange. If you have another spare drive lying around you
could try plugging it in after having written something to it on another
computer so you could determine whether the controller is really seeing the
data as it should when you are 100% sure the data is there.
The whole situation seems strange I admit. Even if it was the same case as I
had with some HP equipment ages ago (HP disks would only work with HP
controller, not with any other one), the disk would not show up at all.
I don't know what are your hardware resources but I'd try to plug the disk
into another computer and if everything else fails, copy the data over the
network. I know it ain't most efficient way but at least it should work ;-)

--
[ Kruk@epsilon.eu.org ]