Old 11-24-2010, 11:48 AM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Default IBM eServer (xSeries) and HotSwap

Hi, Michelle:

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 13:01:17 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> Normaly I am using Servers "Sun Fire" but now I have a bunch of eServer
> (xSeries) and like to know, How I can HotSwap the SCA80 Drives under
> Debian.
>
> Any hints?

What do you mean? Those are SAS drives that come installed in their
hot-swappable bay. You just need to extract the failed one, put the new one
into the bay and put it on again.

What's exactly your problem?

Cheers.

Old 11-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 24.11.10 13:48, Jesús M. Navarro wrote:
> What do you mean? Those are SAS drives that come installed in their
> hot-swappable bay. You just need to extract the failed one, put the new one
> into the bay and put it on again.
>
> What's exactly your problem?

I have eserver 342 with hot-swappable SCSI drives and I was unable to
re-detect them after inserting. This happened ~4 years ago, maybe it would
work now.

The OP problem may be the same. does kernel autodetect inserted drive and
connect it to the system so we can imediately use it?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Jesús M. Navarro,

> What do you mean? Those are SAS drives that come installed in their

I have SCSI U320 SCA80 drives and not SAS. :-D

> hot-swappable bay. You just need to extract the failed one, put the new one
> into the bay and put it on again.
>
> What's exactly your problem?

It seems it is the Kernel which screw up, if I have a filesystem or HDD
error, because the Kernel print arround 30 kByte of error messages and
if I pull out the HDD and insert a new one, it is not correctly detected
(I use the eServer xSeries 335, 345 and 365)

Note: I am new to IBM Servers, except AS400. :-D

All of my Sun servers (SCSI and SAS) are working perfectly but are costly

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

Old 11-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Matus UHLAR - fantomas,

> I have eserver 342 with hot-swappable SCSI drives and I was unable to
> re-detect them after inserting. This happened ~4 years ago, maybe it would
> work now.
>
> The OP problem may be the same. does kernel autodetect inserted drive and
> connect it to the system so we can imediately use it?

The problem it here: Is the Kernel required to intervent if I use the
Hardware Raid-1 (x335, x345) or Raid-5 (x365)?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Aaron Thoreson

It has been my experience that is the RAID controller's job to manage
that. All of our xSeries hardware has had IBM ServeRAID cards that you
manage with a utility CD or Java application once you're up and running.
Many also come with an onboard QLogic card, but you must configure
that with an onboard BIOS option at bootup.

We've never had to do anything special under Debian to make
hot-swappable drives work, but we've always had these RAID cards or
onboard controllers. Never trusted software RAID... There's no battery

Aaron

--
Aaron Thoreson
aaront@midco.net

Old 11-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Aaron Thoreson,

> It has been my experience that is the RAID controller's job to
> manage that. All of our xSeries hardware has had IBM ServeRAID
> cards that you manage with a utility CD or Java application once
> you're up and running. Many also come with an onboard QLogic card,
> but you must configure that with an onboard BIOS option at bootup.

I have already configured the Raid-1 but I will have a second look into
the BIOS and the QLogic suff, which is installed. I know, that I can
configure the THing from Windos using a Software, but does the JAVA
Stuff work on Debian and can it make workable over the LOCAL network?

I like to update my Admin Server to have only one Machine to login.

> We've never had to do anything special under Debian to make

Me too up to now.

> hot-swappable drives work, but we've always had these RAID cards or
> onboard controllers. Never trusted software RAID... There's no
> battery

My words. ;-)

My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs in
total per server) and have not leaved me since years... and was less
expensive as a "Ready-To-Use" IBM or Sun. (one of them is my private
Debian Archive Server)

Old 12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
mimo

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 14:12:19 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs in
> total per server)

A silly question but what happens after /dev/sdz ??

Michael

Old 12-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Scott Edwards

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:51 AM, mimo <mimo@restoel.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 November 2010 14:12:19 Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs *in
>> total per server)
>
> A silly question but what happens after /dev/sdz ??

We don't need no stinking 26 drives. Let's use 256.

http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Documentation/devices.txt#2149

Old 12-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello mimo,

> A silly question but what happens after /dev/sdz ??

I have only /dev/sda to /dev/sdp or in clear 16 Raid-5 Volumes (each
with two hotfix).

Oh, there is a problem with such Storage servers:

I have my <archive.debian.tamay-dogan.net> on ist and jesterday I have a
powerfail and now it is already runing for more then 42 hours fsck on
the 16 Volumes... All drives are Seagate 146 GByte U160!

It seems fsck require arround 11 hours for one 15-Drive Raid-5 Volume.