Old 12-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Bart-Jan Vrielink

Default IBM eServer (xSeries) and HotSwap

On 12/10/10 16:51, mimo wrote:

On Wednesday 24 November 2010 14:12:19 Michelle Konzack wrote:

My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs in
total per server)

A silly question but what happens after /dev/sdz ??

Michael

That's easy. After /dev/sdz comes /dev/sdaa. And, I've just tested it by
making and logging into 800 ISCSI targets on my laptop, after /dev/sdzz
comes /dev/sdaaa.

fenchurch:~# ls -l /dev/sdadu
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 66, 768 Dec 10 22:10 /dev/sdadu
fenchurch:~#

Old 12-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Bjørn Mork

Bart-Jan Vrielink <bartjan@vrielink.net> writes:
> On 12/10/10 16:51, mimo wrote:
>> On Wednesday 24 November 2010 14:12:19 Michelle Konzack wrote:
>>
>>> My two biggest machines are running each 4 Adaptec AAC-364 (240 HDDs in
>>> total per server)
>>>
>> A silly question but what happens after /dev/sdz ??
>>
>> Michael
>>

> That's easy. After /dev/sdz comes /dev/sdaa. And, I've just tested it
> by making and logging into 800 ISCSI targets on my laptop, after
> /dev/sdzz comes /dev/sdaaa.

Yes, but when you get past sdzzz then you get into real trouble, as
recently noted on the linux-scsi list:

http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-scsi/2010/9/20/6886603

Bjørn

Old 12-17-2010, 10:31 AM
mimo

On Friday 10 December 2010 17:10:32 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> It seems fsck require arround 11 hours for one 15-Drive Raid-5 Volume.

I found the same problem with our comparably small backup server and decided to switch to xfs (reiserfs should do too) because they're both much beeter at the fsck (ans also resizing).

mimo

Old 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Michelle Konzack

Hello mimo,

> On Friday 10 December 2010 17:10:32 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > It seems fsck require arround 11 hours for one 15-Drive Raid-5 Volume.
>
> I found the same problem with our comparably small backup server and
> decided to switch to xfs (reiserfs should do too) because they're both
> much beeter at the fsck (ans also resizing).

With XFS I had only negative experience, exspecialy with my PostgreSQL.

Question: I am now ongoing to reinstall some servers with Squeeze
because it will be released in a very short time. Does
Squeeze support EXT4 now? And what is the Performance?

> mimo

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening/Weekend
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ #328449886

Old 12-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Wojciech Ziniewicz

2010/12/17 Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@tamay-dogan.net>:
> Hello mimo,
>
> Am 2010-12-17 11:31:25, hacktest Du folgendes herunter:
>> On Friday 10 December 2010 17:10:32 Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> > It seems fsck require arround 11 hours for one 15-Drive Raid-5 Volume.
>>
>> I found the same problem with our comparably small backup server and
>> decided to switch to xfs (reiserfs should do too) because they're both
>> much beeter at the fsck (ans also resizing).

Sure they are better - provided that there's no problem with the
hardware. If your disks are faulty , fsck will take days on reiserfs ,
and X times fewer on ext3.

just my 0.03$

regards

--