Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
martin f krafft

Default raid10??

also sprach Andre Keller <mluser@rbmail.ch> [2008.01.30.1923 +1100]:
> Sorry forgot the list ;-)

Please don't Cc people when replying to lists.

> Is this also possible while debian installation? Can one boot from this
> raid?

Not yet, at least not with the Debian installer.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@debian.org>
: :' : proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user

"... and so he killed Miguel in a rit of fealous jage."
-- inspector clouseau

Old 01-31-2008, 06:58 PM
randall

> almost there
>
> i tried to follow the how-to-forge article on raid1 installation for a
> running system, replacing it with raid10.
> this seems to work nicely, attached my notes based on the original article.
> until the very last final step that is, getting the final raid10 to
> boot, i'm not having much luck with grub, i'm receiving grub error 2 at
> the moment for all 4 disks.
>
> before i continue on this path i want to ask if it is possible at all.
> md0 /root
> md1 /swap
> md2 /data
>
> so all 3 as RAID10 and no seperate /boot
>
> so here's the question.
> 1 this is possible and am i just to big a noob to get the correct grub
> parameters
> 2 this is not possible so i should use a seperate /boot in raid1

have decided to go for the safe shot and made raid1 partitions for /boot
and raid10 for the rest
not really sure if it would have been possible or easier doing this at
install time, but doing it on a running system has its advantages.
for those interested i have made some notes
http://songshu.org/doku/doku.php?id=host.cipar.net

this leaves me with 1 thing i can't figure out so far and that is that i
can start grub from all 4 disks as planned, but i can only boot in my
case from hd0,0 and hd3,0

is this correct for raid10???? it does make some sense but i'm not sure

Old 02-01-2008, 12:34 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008, randall wrote:
> until the very last final step that is, getting the final raid10 to
> boot, i'm not having much luck with grub, i'm receiving grub error 2 at
> the moment for all 4 disks.

I always end up with a /boot nowadays because it has to be raid1 and
unencrypted, while the rest of the system can be in whatever way you want
(may require initrd/initramfs/etc, though).

Getting lilo or grub to work on anything other than raid1 just ain't worth
it. If it is even possible to begin with, which I am not sure.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
Keld Jørn Simonsen

Den Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:40:18 +0100 skrev randall:

> hi all,
>
> i'm setting up a new server and i basically have 4 disks (+2 for back-up
> storage), easiest would be to go for the good old raid5 and suffer the
> performance loss, but i have some time left to do some benchmarking and
> i want to give raid10 a try.
>
> i don't seem to be able to find much resources on google about setting
> up raid 10 in debian (anybody has some experience???) and i also came
> accross the idea of raid1 with lvm setup..is this an option?
>

> just wandering if somebody has some thoughts and pointers

There is a general Linux RAID Howto and FAQ at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/

Especially there is a howto on setting up a system with raid all the way
at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Preventing_against_a_failing_disk

There is somthing on performance of the various tyoes of Linux raid at
http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Performance .

This is information made by the Linux-raid kernel group and reflects
quite recent information. Many other sites contain info that is rather
old.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
randall

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

[...]

a bit late reply, but nevertheless useful information. i have set up my
raid10 by know and have done it as described in the link below.
To be honest this is the first time i see the f2 and 02 options for
raid10, does anybody know more bedtime reading on that?

http://songshu.org/doku/doku.php?id=host.cipar.net#setup_raid_10

Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Keld Jørn Simonsen

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:55:11PM +0200, randall wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> >Den Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:40:18 +0100 skrev randall:
> >

> >>hi all,
> >>
> >>i'm setting up a new server and i basically have 4 disks (+2 for back-up
> >>storage), easiest would be to go for the good old raid5 and suffer the
> >>performance loss, but i have some time left to do some benchmarking and
> >>i want to give raid10 a try.
> >>
> >>i don't seem to be able to find much resources on google about setting
> >>up raid 10 in debian (anybody has some experience???) and i also came
> >>accross the idea of raid1 with lvm setup..is this an option?
> >>

> >>just wandering if somebody has some thoughts and pointers
> >>

> >There is a general Linux RAID Howto and FAQ at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/
> >
> >Especially there is a howto on setting up a system with raid all the way
> >at http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Preventing_against_a_failing_disk
> >
> >There is somthing on performance of the various tyoes of Linux raid at
> >http://linux-raid.osdl.org/index.php/Performance .
> >
> >This is information made by the Linux-raid kernel group and reflects
> >quite recent information. Many other sites contain info that is rather
> >old.
> >

> a bit late reply, but nevertheless useful information. i have set up my
> raid10 by know and have done it as described in the link below.
> To be honest this is the first time i see the f2 and 02 options for
> raid10, does anybody know more bedtime reading on that?

yes, the info on f2 and o2 is not widespread. We are trying to spread
the word from the linux-raid kernel community.

The wiki is probably the best info.
Some more info could be found in the md and mdasm man pages.
Also wikipedia and mythTV wiki has some info.

best regards
keld