Old 08-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Seth Mattinen

Default AW: AW: Heads up: no standalone diagnostics for latest WD drives

On 8/7/10 9:34 AM, Robert Menger wrote:
> it is typical for an ISP. Every ISP I know handles with very high amounts of hard discs. And because the question is posted in this list, it is nearly to assume that fact. Thats the sense of diffrent lists, like the diffrent subforums in a board, isn't it?

That's an extremely poor assumption. If your core business is delivering
DSL, T1, T3, SONET, Metro Ethernet or whatnot and no hosting (or you
outsourced your mail/hosting to someone like AT&T does to Yahoo) you
aren't going to be dealing with hard drives in that volume. Is that not
an ISP?

~Seth

Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Robert Menger,

> ok, maybe here in Germany the ISPs for customer DSL and so are not
> "typical", but from every ISP I know here, who delivers customer
> access as his core business, has one or more datacenters with "some"
> servers inside. minimum a servercount with 4 digits. But every of them
> provides hosting features too, I do not know any ISP, who didnt have
> any type of hosting. But I will be proud if you could provide me some
> examples, where my assumption is totally incorrect (means a provider
> with only a handful own servers).

I am ISP in Germany and my 3800 customers use my WaveLAN/FTTH service.
In total I have currently 239 servers arround the world and the with
together around 1500 Harddisks.

Does this qualify me as ISP or whatelse?

Also I know ISPs which hosting stuff but have not more the one 42U 19"
rackmount with a bunch of X4100/X4150 and this is not an ISP?

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de