-   -   Heads up: no standalone diagnostics for latest WD drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/409741-heads-up-no-standalone-diagnostics-latest-wd-drives.html)

Keith Edmunds 08-07-2010 11:50 AM

Heads up: no standalone diagnostics for latest WD drives

We recently put two Western Digital 2Tb drives in a system we were
building. Suspecting a problem, we tried to run the Western Digital
standalone diagnostics on the drive (note: this was before Linux - or
any other operating system - was installed). Upshot: the diagnostics for
those drives only run under Windows.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/western-digital-disk-diagnostic-tools-are-windows-only/9235

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/05/wd_windows_only_diagnostics/

Keith Edmunds 08-07-2010 01:15 PM

On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:06:25 +0200, rm@keyweb.de said:

> Why tying to use this tools?

Because it is (used to be) a simple, go/nogo test of a drive's fitness.

It was approved and written by the manuafacturer.

It tests in a known, controlled environment.

> Smartmontools and a badblocks test is good
> for every type of diagnostics

It was because of issues testing with bb that we wanted to run the
manufacturer's diagnostics.

> Ok not nice to hear about that fact, that WD did not support
> any other OS, but I my opinion thats nothing to concern about.

You're missing the point entirely. I'm not asking them to support Linux
(or Windows, MSDOS, VMS, RT11 or OS/8). I'm asking them to continue to
produce a standalone, bootable ISO that will test their drives, just like
the support page for the drive in question claims that they do.

Michelle Konzack 08-07-2010 08:11 PM

Heads up: no standalone diagnostics for latest WD drives

Hello Keith Edmunds,

> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 15:06:25 +0200, rm@keyweb.de said:
>
> > Why tying to use this tools?
>
> Because it is (used to be) a simple, go/nogo test of a drive's fitness.

Right such test eist pas under linux.

> It was approved and written by the manuafacturer.

OK

> It tests in a known, controlled environment.

Hahahaha. Windos is what please?

You can infect your drive even with a virus before Linux has a chance to
install...

> You're missing the point entirely. I'm not asking them to support Linux
> (or Windows, MSDOS, VMS, RT11 or OS/8). I'm asking them to continue to
> produce a standalone, bootable ISO that will test their drives, just like
> the support page for the drive in question claims that they do.

FullACK!

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France 77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/> <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de