Old 07-06-2010, 12:57 AM
Ryan Halloway

Default Australian Internet Filtering Position

List,
With sites like this appearing everywhere: http://www.dontfilterme.com*and http://nocleanfeed.com/

Just trying to get a general opinion with what everyone thinks of the filtering situation in Australia. Whether you believe its a good thing or a bad thing or you don't really care. I'm writing a letter to an Australian MP (Member of Parliament) and I want to get some actual opinions of what other systems administrators think of the internet filter, even if they are not in Australia. Not only at a technical aspect but at an opinion aspect as well.*

Either reply on list or pm me. I just want to get a general idea.*
Thanks,
Ryan.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:35 AM
Robert Brockway

Just trying to get a general opinion with what everyone thinks of the
filtering situation in Australia. Whether you believe its a good thing or a
bad thing or you don't really care. I'm writing a letter to an Australian MP
(Member of Parliament) and I want to get some actual opinions of what other
systems administrators think of the internet filter, even if they are not in
Australia. Not only at a technical aspect but at an opinion aspect as well.

Either reply on list or pm me. I just want to get a general idea.

I'm vehemently opposed to the filter. It will effect how I vote.

Rob (the Aussie expat sysadmin)

--
Email: robert@timetraveller.org Linux counter ID #16440
IRC: Solver (OFTC & Freenode)

Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 AM
Julian DeMarchi

> Either reply on list or pm me. I just want to get a general idea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Australia

Everyone with a technical mindset about the issue is opposed to it. The
ACL[0] I believe is the main body pushing for the filter.

--julian

0 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_Australia

Old 08-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Ryan Halloway

List,
With sites like this appearing everywhere: http://www.dontfilterme.com and http://nocleanfeed.com/

Just trying to get a general opinion with what everyone thinks of the filtering situation in Australia. Whether you believe its a good thing or a bad thing or you don't really care. I'm writing a letter to an Australian MP (Member of Parliament) and I want to get some actual opinions of what other systems administrators think of the internet filter, even if they are not in Australia. Not only at a technical aspect but at an opinion aspect as well.*

I tried to email this around before, but I didn't get enough of a response.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
Scott Edwards

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Ryan Halloway <ryan.halloway@gmail.com> wrote:
> List,
> With sites like this appearing everywhere: http://www.dontfilterme.com and
> http://nocleanfeed.com/
> Just trying to get a general opinion with what everyone thinks of the
> filtering situation in Australia. Whether you believe its a good thing or a
> bad thing or you don't really care. I'm writing a letter to an Australian MP
> (Member of Parliament) and I want to get some actual opinions of what other
> systems administrators think of the internet filter, even if they are not in
> Australia. Not only at a technical aspect but at an opinion aspect as well.
> I tried to email this around before, but I didn't get enough of a response.
> Either reply on list or pm me. I just want to get a general idea.
> Thanks,

You did ask for a general opinion. Perhaps you wanted something more
than generalities? Do you want opinions on why this filtering is a
good thing, a bad thing, a waste of money and effort, or something
else too?

Just my random input,

Scott.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:36 AM
Dusty Wilson

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Ryan Halloway <ryan.halloway@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just trying to get a general opinion with what everyone thinks of the
> filtering situation in Australia. Whether you believe its a good thing or a
> bad thing or you don't really care. I'm writing a letter to an Australian MP
> (Member of Parliament) and I want to get some actual opinions of what other
> systems administrators think of the internet filter, even if they are not in
> Australia. Not only at a technical aspect but at an opinion aspect as well.
> I tried to email this around before, but I didn't get enough of a response.
> Either reply on list or pm me. I just want to get a general idea.

I'm against any sort of governmental interference in Internet usage,
especially when it comes to censorship.

Just like it's not an car salesman's job to tell you to not drive in
the swamp and your phone company's job to tell you to not call
Nigeria, it's not your ISP's job to filter your travels through the
Internet. What you seek out on the Internet should be all on you. If
you don't want your children to find things online that you consider
"bad", then it's up to you do deal with it. If you don't want your
spouse to seek out "bad" things online, get a different spouse.
*shrug*

IMO,
Dusty

Old 08-02-2010, 06:00 AM