Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Andrew Miehs

Default amcc/3ware

On 11/01/2008, at 6:39 PM, Boris Pavlov wrote:

1.) did you read the suggestions on the 3ware's site?

Probably - this is going back a couple of years....
Which 'suggestions' are you referring to?

2.) and second, sorry i do not want to be abusive, but how long (as
uptime) after the creation of the volume you actually did test the
controller?

We did very quick tests - seemed ok - but didn't really have time to
do extensive testing - we bought 3ware

and blindly trusted advice from this mailing list.

did you check the status of the array with tw_cli?

The 3dmd program shows that the status is GOOD..

almost as i tough - sometimes the check show less performance, but
in general the software raid performs really bad on a burdened
server - i've seen this and actually was swearing when, say, about 5
years ago purchased my first 3ware (pata pci) board, which actually
solved my problems. afaicr, the board was about 10-15% slower than
hdparm with the disks attached to the main board ata. but this is
not the same case when the load goes high, believe me the server
used to nearly hang before that.

Can understand that these tests are not perfect, but they give an
indication...

`time dd if=/dev/zero of=/disks/3wareVol/test.txt bs=4M count=100000`

-- will try and get some results when I get back to the office on monday

I would expect similar performance, but the 3ware cards were
considerable slower -

who knows - maybe I just did something very wrong.

We have since then moved to HP hardware, and the P400 controllers from
HP have given us

no problems as yet - although it will probably happen at some stage .

Regards