Old 01-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Andrew Miehs

Default 3ware Raid controllers and 64bit Etch

On 11/01/2008, at 2:43 PM, Andrew Miehs wrote:

Dear List,

I have been having data corruption problems for the last two months
on 7 servers.

After extensive testing, I have finally narrowed the problem down to
Debian Etch 2.6.18-5 kernel
with the 3ware PCI controller. The same machine using the onboard
SATA controller does not

corrupt data.

Just to make this clear - this is with 64bit version of Etch - I have
not tested the 32bit version

with the Raid controller.

Andrew

Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Seth Mattinen

Andrew Miehs wrote:

I have been having data corruption problems for the last two months on
7 servers.

After extensive testing, I have finally narrowed the problem down to
Debian Etch 2.6.18-5 kernel
with the 3ware PCI controller. The same machine using the onboard SATA
controller does not

corrupt data.

Just to make this clear - this is with 64bit version of Etch - I have
not tested the 32bit version

with the Raid controller.

I've been using an 9650SE-8LPML in RAID 6 (with battery) under 64bit
Etch without any problems. It's as heavily loaded as bonded dual 100 can
let it be. Although you didn't say what controller and RAID level you're
using.

~Seth

Old 01-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Andrew Miehs

The machines are using a 3ware 64 bit PCI Raid controller - with 2 (or
4 can't remember exactly).
They are in a 32bit PCI slot and the disks are SATA and mirrored (2
disks)
Unfortunately I don't know exactly which controller as I do not have
physical access to the machines.
(The machines are supplied by a hosting provider) - Is there anyway to
find out exactly which cards they

are from the OS?

Cheers

Andrew

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Andrew Miehs

After searching the web...

Looks like it is a "3ware 8006-2LP" controller...

Andrew