Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Andrew Miehs

Default Fwd: New Mailserver...

resent to list

Begin forwarded message:

From: Andrew Miehs <andrew@2sheds.de>
Date: 11 January 2008 2:17:27 PM
To: Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de>
Subject: Re: New Mailserver...

On 10/01/2008, at 2:50 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:

Am 2008-01-09 09:59:37, schrieb Jean-Paul Blaquiere:

On Jan 08, randall illuminated :

besides personal preference and insight, you might want to re
consider
the software vs hardware raid, i just find the kernel more
reliable and

forgiving then any controller.

one of the major reasons I use software raid on small end systems
(like

home/soho), is that in the case of major hardware failure, like your
RAID card, you can just drop the disks into a new server and it all
'just works', instead of having to find an identical RAID card ....

3w65xx are compatibel with 3w75xx and with 3w85xx plus 3w95xx

This is WHY I use heavyly 3Ware controllers.
BTW, - ICP/Vortex controlers are compatibel too.

I am not a big fan of 3ware Raid controllers. Up until now it was
because

they were just plan SLOW...

As of yesterday, I have discovered that the standard etch 64 bit
kernel 2.6.18-5

does not work correctly with these cards and causes data corruption.

If you want to do it cheap, use Software Raid.

Andrew

Old 01-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Boris Pavlov

Andrew Miehs wrote:

resent to list

Begin forwarded message:

besides personal preference and insight, you might want to re consider
the software vs hardware raid, i just find the kernel more reliable
and

forgiving then any controller.

one of the major reasons I use software raid on small end systems (like
home/soho), is that in the case of major hardware failure, like your
RAID card, you can just drop the disks into a new server and it all
'just works', instead of having to find an identical RAID card ....

3w65xx are compatibel with 3w75xx and with 3w85xx plus 3w95xx

This is WHY I use heavyly 3Ware controllers.
BTW, - ICP/Vortex controlers are compatibel too.

I am not a big fan of 3ware Raid controllers. Up until now it was because
they were just plan SLOW...

just a quick word from me - simple, can not agree that they are slow.
they are not SLOW (caps on) either - comparing to soft raid - same raid
level on same computer.

As of yesterday, I have discovered that the standard etch 64 bit
kernel 2.6.18-5

does not work correctly with these cards and causes data corruption.

with which models in particular ? you've mentioned "cardS" could you
share which ones you have problems with?

If you want to do it cheap, use Software Raid.

Completely agree. Cheaper raid than software raid is not currently
available.

Note: i did not said 'cost effective'.

Andrew