Old 01-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Default XEN on etch?

Hi folks,

I'm currently trying to set up a xen server for evaluation on a
freshly installed etch machine (P4, 1.5G RAM)

Although I guess I've installed everything as needed I get:
Panic on CPU0
Could not set up DOM0 guest OS
and reboots after 5 seconds (way to short to fetch any other
messages). I cannot find anything on google nor anything in the log
files.

Any hints? I'm sure I'm missing something very trivial here, as
there is nothing in any of the installguides I could find.

TIA!

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ etch main
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib

Installed xen etc. packages:
ii libc6-xen 2.3.6.ds1-13etch4
ii linux-image-2.6-xen-686 2.6.18+6etch2
ii linux-image-2.6.18-5-xen-686 2.6.18.dfsg.1-17
ii linux-modules-2.6.18-5-xen-686 2.6.18.dfsg.1-17

ii xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386 3.0.3-0-4
ii xen-tools 2.8-2
ii xen-utils-3.0.3-1 3.0.3-0-4
ii xen-utils-common 3.0.3-0-2
ii bridge-utils 1.2-1
ii iproute 20061002-3

Grub settings:
title Xen 3.0.3-1-i386 / Debian GNU/Linux, kernel
2.6.18-5-xen-686
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/xen-3.0.3-1-i386.gz dom0_mem=65536
module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-5-xen-686 root=/dev/hda2 ro
console=tty0
module /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-5-xen-686
savedefault

$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.101
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.13.1
dns-nameservers 192.168.1.1

Old 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM
Andrew Miehs

Resent to list
I'm currently trying to set up a xen server for evaluation on a
freshly installed etch machine (P4, 1.5G RAM)

Although I guess I've installed everything as needed I get:
Panic on CPU0
Could not set up DOM0 guest OS
and reboots after 5 seconds (way to short to fetch any other
messages). I cannot find anything on google nor anything in the log
files.

Any hints? I'm sure I'm missing something very trivial here, as
there is nothing in any of the installguides I could find.

I think you need the pae hypervisor IIRC...

xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386-pae

Cheers

Andrew

Old 01-11-2008, 12:12 PM

> I think you need the pae hypervisor IIRC...
>
> xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386-pae

apt-cache show says:
[...]
| This version of the hypervisor is built with PAE enabled, in order
| to support systems with more than 4GB of memory. If you have less
| than that you should probably choose the non -pae version.

So I guess that's not the issue.

Thx anyway!

Old 01-11-2008, 12:32 PM
randall

i have had the same issue, the PAE version helped in my case

Old 01-11-2008, 12:33 PM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, norbert_schuetz@bigfoot.com said:
> > I think you need the pae hypervisor IIRC...
> >
> > xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386-pae
>
> apt-cache show says:
> [...]
> | This version of the hypervisor is built with PAE enabled, in order
> | to support systems with more than 4GB of memory. If you have less
> | than that you should probably choose the non -pae version.
>
> So I guess that's not the issue.

Confusingly, it really is. The Xen kernels in etch are all PAE enabled,
so you need to the PAE enabled hypervisor. You would think that the Xen
maintainer and the kernel team could have made this a little more clear,
given that it's the same people involved, but there it is.
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Andrew Miehs

I think you need the pae hypervisor IIRC...

xen-hypervisor-3.0.3-1-i386-pae

apt-cache show says:
[...]
| This version of the hypervisor is built with PAE enabled, in order
| to support systems with more than 4GB of memory. If you have less
| than that you should probably choose the non -pae version.

So I guess that's not the issue.

Yes - but the problem is the kernel you are using has PAE compiled
into it...

There used to be two kernels - now there is only one....
(The notes in the description are not up to date)

Reagrds

Andrew

Old 01-11-2008, 01:07 PM

> Confusingly, it really is. The Xen kernels in etch are all PAE enabled,
> so you need to the PAE enabled hypervisor. You would think that the Xen
> maintainer and the kernel team could have made this a little more clear,
> given that it's the same people involved, but there it is.

Ah, you're right. It works with the pae kernel.
Guess I'd file a bug report to drop the non-pae hypervisor at all or
at least fix the docs.

Punished for reading the docs properly this time ;-)

Thx a lot folks!