Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 AM
Daniel Hood

Default Possible Debian Hosting Setup

List,
*
Working for a company that provides small businesses IT support.
*
After having to deal with another useless hosting company for the third time this week (how are there so many companies out there, that have "Technical support" that don't know what "that SMTP thing is") I've decided using existing infrastructure we have at the office and maybe a couple of cheap hosted VPS's as backups, to hopefully get some kind of hosting environment going, so we can move customers over and then when customer's call in I can actually fix stuff within a few months.

*
My question includes. A lot of our customers just need the basic 3 services. Mail (SMTP / POP3), DNS and Web (Basic static HTML pages, no dynamic content). We currently have 2 unused servers in a datacenter colocation rack, and I'm looking at getting 4 VPSs (2 each, from 2 different provides).

*
What I'm wondering is... Is there a package or a couple of packages that people on this list have used and would recommend for managing DNS records (Bind server), mailboxes (Courier POP3 / Postfix (Or another well known mail server)) and possibly*web sites for about 30 different domains.*I don't mind having to read the logs and do troubleshooting the "old school" way (actually reading logs and researching) but just for the other techs who have about as much*knowledge with Linux as Lindsay Lohan has with being*clean... So just tasks like, adding DNS*A*records, adding new POP3 mailboxes, adding a new domain to the mailserver config and just general stuff like that.*

*
It can even be like "Use*yyy for DNS management, and zzz for POP3 management and then use*aaa for adding new domains to the*mailserver)... Just looking at options at this*point.
*
Regards,
*
Daniel*

Old 03-10-2010, 05:58 AM
Julian DeMarchi

On 03/10/2010 04:51 PM, Daniel Hood wrote:
> List,
>
> Working for a company that provides small businesses IT support.
>
> After having to deal with another useless hosting company for the third time
> this week (how are there so many companies out there, that have "Technical
> support" that don't know what "that SMTP thing is") I've decided using
> existing infrastructure we have at the office and maybe a couple of cheap
> hosted VPS's as backups, to hopefully get some kind of hosting environment
> going, so we can move customers over and then when customer's call in I can
> actually fix stuff within a few months.
>
> My question includes. A lot of our customers just need the basic 3 services.
> Mail (SMTP / POP3), DNS and Web (Basic static HTML pages, no dynamic
> content). We currently have 2 unused servers in a datacenter colocation
> rack, and I'm looking at getting 4 VPSs (2 each, from 2 different provides).
>

> What I'm wondering is... Is there a package or a couple of packages that
> people on this list have used and would recommend for managing DNS records
> (Bind server), mailboxes (Courier POP3 / Postfix (Or another well known mail
> server)) and possibly web sites for about 30 different domains. I don't mind
> having to read the logs and do troubleshooting the "old school" way
> (actually reading logs and researching) but just for the other techs who
> have about as much knowledge with Linux as Lindsay Lohan has with
> being clean... So just tasks like, adding DNS A records, adding new POP3
> mailboxes, adding a new domain to the mailserver config and just general
> stuff like that.
>
> It can even be like "Use yyy for DNS management, and zzz for POP3 management
> and then use aaa for adding new domains to the mailserver)... Just looking
> at options at this point.

I would highly recommend ISPConfig3[0]. It will do everything you have
asked for. It can be setup in a multi-server manner as well. I have used
it for a while now and have no issues.

--julian

0 - http://www.ispconfig.org/

Old 03-10-2010, 06:00 AM
Unai Rodriguez

Hi Daniel,

We use Qmailtoaster for email (http://qmailtoaster.com/) which includes a
pretty cool web-based administration tool.

For DNS we use PowerDNS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerdns), not Bind,
together with Poweradmin (http://www.poweradmin.org) web based admin tool.

We are using this on a small email/dns hosting that we are setting up now.

I would definitely recommend Qmailtoaster, quite happy about it. For
PowerDNS + PowerAdmin I am still quite new but seems great.

I hope that helps.

With Best Wishes,
unai

On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:51:03 +1100, Daniel Hood wrote: List, Working

Old 03-10-2010, 06:11 AM
Unai Rodriguez

Ooops, I just "forgot" that our QMail mail server is *not* running on
Debian. It is running on SuSE but I would recommend using CentOS (because
the site provides CentOS packages regularly), easier to keep it updated...

Our DNS is running on Debian.

With Best Wishes,
unai

Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Daniel Hood

With ISPConfig though, does it have support for say having a "primary" server then if all goes wrong, it automagically "no action by me required" fails over to a second host? I'm guessing ns and mx record wise that would be pretty simple to configure but, in regards to being able to swap over configs and files on the fly... ?

*
Daniel
*

*

Old 03-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Thomas Goirand

> With ISPConfig though, does it have support for say having a "primary"
> server then if all goes wrong, it automagically "no action by me required"
> fails over to a second host? I'm guessing ns and mx record wise that would
> be pretty simple to configure but, in regards to being able to swap over
> configs and files on the fly... ?
>
> Daniel

I don't know any product, commercial or open source, that does the above...

Thomas

Old 03-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Thomas Goirand

> What I'm wondering is... Is there a package or a couple of packages that
> people on this list have used and would recommend for managing DNS records
> (Bind server), mailboxes (Courier POP3 / Postfix (Or another well known mail
> server)) and possibly web sites for about 30 different domains. I don't mind
> having to read the logs and do troubleshooting the "old school" way
> (actually reading logs and researching) but just for the other techs who
> have about as much knowledge with Linux as Lindsay Lohan has with
> being clean... So just tasks like, adding DNS A records, adding new POP3
> mailboxes, adding a new domain to the mailserver config and just general
> stuff like that.
>
> It can even be like "Use yyy for DNS management, and zzz for POP3 management
> and then use aaa for adding new domains to the mailserver)... Just looking
> at options at this point.

apt-cache show dtc-postfix-toaster

and you'll get what you need. Disclaimer: I'm the main author and Debian maintainer...

Thomas

Old 03-10-2010, 08:11 AM
Michal

> What I'm wondering is... Is there a package or a couple of packages that
> people on this list have used and would recommend for managing DNS
> records (Bind server), mailboxes (Courier POP3 / Postfix (Or another
> well known mail server)) and possibly web sites for about 30 different
> domains. I don't mind having to read the logs and do troubleshooting the
> "old school" way (actually reading logs and researching) but just for
> the other techs who have about as much knowledge with Linux as Lindsay
> Lohan has with being clean... So just tasks like, adding DNS A records,
> adding new POP3 mailboxes, adding a new domain to the mailserver config
> and just general stuff like that.
>
> It can even be like "Use yyy for DNS management, and zzz for POP3
> management and then use aaa for adding new domains to the mailserver)...
> Just looking at options at this point.

There is webmin, cpannel, zpannel and other such web GUI's you can
use...I'm not sure if it will fit your bill but worth a look

Old 03-10-2010, 08:14 AM
Andrew Miehs

On 10/03/2010, at 9:40 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> [...]

If you want something that requires little thinking, and very scaleable, you may want to look at:

http://www.communigate.com/

They have a demon online.

Cheers

Andrew

Old 03-10-2010, 08:44 AM
Daniel Hood

I suddenly realized just how stupid my second question sounded. Its a symptom of working late. I should be able to sort it out from here on in. Just needed*some suggestions on what was out there.
*
Thanks list,
*
Daniel