Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Marc Schiffbauer

Default MRTG Setup

Hi Daniel,

* Daniel Hood schrieb am 01.03.10 um 11:51 Uhr:
> Has anyone got an actual good tutorial about setting up MRTG on Debian, then
> using it to monitor linux servers, cisco network equipment and anything
> else? The only thing I can find is the configuration script but it always
> produces junk results.
>
> Anyone got a more "helpful" tutorial. All I'm finding online is "use
> configuration script".
>
> Daniel

Do you know munin?

http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

-Marc
--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134

Old 03-01-2010, 10:38 AM

On 3/1/2010 11:51 AM, Daniel Hood wrote:
> Has anyone got an actual good tutorial about setting up MRTG on
> Debian, then using it to monitor linux servers, cisco network
> equipment and anything else? The only thing I can find is the
> configuration script but it always produces junk results.
>
> Anyone got a more "helpful" tutorial. All I'm finding online is "use
> configuration script".
>
> Daniel
Why not use sth. like Munin or Cacti?

Old 03-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Wojciech Ziniewicz

2010/3/1 <lists@roth.lu>
>> Daniel
> Why not use sth. like Munin or Cacti?

Or zabbix

regards
WZ

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2324.txt

Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Daniel Hood

I would like to use Cacti, but I can't find anything good resources on actually finding the SNMP OIDs I want from Cisco gear, Linux servers and Windows gear. So would anyone have any resources on that?
*
Daniel

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/d1473ad91003010409v5b45daa3v94fb2a020a30a3a4@mail. gmail.com

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Andrew Miehs

Hi Daniel,

What sort of resources are you after?

Depending on the number of switches/ hosts we are talking about - you may be better off with MRTG rather than the entire Cacti suite.

MRTG should be pretty clear after reading this.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft/linux/docs/uniqlinuxfeatures/mrtg/
http://www.cyberciti.biz/nixcraft/linux/docs/uniqlinuxfeatures/mrtg/mrtg_config_step_5.php

- 2 second search with your favorite search engine. You can reach this by using http://www.google.com/ or http://www.bing.com/

More questions about which OIDs are available - try snmpwalk.

Andrew

Old 03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
Seth Mattinen

On 3/1/2010 14:49, Daniel Hood wrote:
> I would like to use Cacti, but I can't find anything good resources on
> actually finding the SNMP OIDs I want from Cisco gear, Linux servers and
> Windows gear. So would anyone have any resources on that?

The "basic" ones like interface counters are predefined in Cacti. For
Cisco try:

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/MIBS/servlet/index

~Seth

Old 03-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Daniel Hood

Thanks for all the help guys. Will have a play and report back.