Old 01-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Adam McGreggor

Default Bandwidth Accounting

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 01:50:41PM +0000, Gavin Westwood wrote:
> What do other people/companies on this list use for user bandwidth
> accounting on their server(s)?
>
> At the moment I don't have anything proper in place, although I check up
> on webalizer for each website's usage, and used ipac-ng to keep an eye
> on throughput by protocol and in total. I know that none of my users
> can have reached their limits from ipac-ng's output and knowing my own
> usage, however, having just upgraded the server to Etch, ipac-ng doesn't
> work properly any more, just giving errors, so I ended up removing it.
>
> What options are there?

rrdtool (http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/) is the first one that springs to mind.

MRTG (http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/) is another tool, which is quite nice for graphs.

Both ought to be packaged for etch.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
"Wojciech Firlej"

On 1/9/08, Frederik Denkens <fdenkens@ilibris.be> wrote:

> But multiple servers on different VLAN's on one switch port
> and Virtualized services are currently not measured because we have no
> consolidated measuring tool.
>
> Any ideas, both open-source and commercial would be great.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frederik.

You can use flowc http://netacad.kiev.ua/flowc/ with netflow capable
switch, or Network Tap (http://www.netoptics.eu).

Commercial: InMon (http://www.inmon.com/)

Regards,

Wojtek

Old 01-10-2008, 10:04 AM
"Guilherme de Freitas Figueiredo"

http://www.pmacct.net

2008/1/9, Wojciech Firlej <wfirlej@gmail.com>:
On 1/9/08, Frederik Denkens <fdenkens@ilibris.be> wrote:

> But multiple servers on different VLAN's on one switch port
> and Virtualized services are currently not measured because we have no

> consolidated measuring tool.
>
> Any ideas, both open-source and commercial would be great.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frederik.

You can use flowc
http://netacad.kiev.ua/flowc/ with netflow capable