Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Leonardo Boselli

Default SW to monitor band usage

Problem: i have doubts on the uplink provider.
my network is often sloooooooow .
doing ping test gives values high, but not so high to justify
the slownes. i tried to upload a file to a server on isp site and a 200
MB mpg file was trasferred in 5.2 seconds.
the line should be 1GB, and were about 400 users on line, so such score

should exclude a cable or router fault.
The technician on the other part of the line suggest it could be someone
doing intensive file transfer, so hogging the line.

so i want to make this test:
mirror the upstream port of the main switch to a logging computer, and see
if there is someone doing 24/24 file transfer.

now the question:
what is the program i have to use ?
(remember: on that line I should expect a 70% bandwidth usage on a gigabit
link)
What I need would be just log, minute by minute, for each IP pair (in and
out) the number of packet and the total qty of data exchanged.

any quick suggestion ?

--
Leonardo Boselli

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Steve Suehring

Quick suggestion would be ntop but other people might have other
suggestions.

Steve

Old 02-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Helio Loureiro

> Quick suggestion would be ntop but other people might have other
> suggestions.

mrtg

If you like and want further settings, rrdtool. Or even cacti.

For command line: bing

Or... you can mix all them. Sometime ago I created a system to monitor
company link bandwidth to a peer located in Haiti. Bing and rrdtool.

--
[]s
Helio Loureiro