Old 12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Keith Edmunds

Default Dell PowerEdge R300 with BMC5722 NIC (tg3 driver)

We're setting up a number of these servers and we're having problems with
the NIC locking up. It retains its IP address, but the 'dropped' count
keeps increasing and no network traffic flows over the connection.
ifdown/ifup on the interface fixes the problem.

We've tried downloading, compiling and using the tg3 driver from the
Broadcom website, but that's made no difference.

I've found a couple of other references to problems similar to this, most
notably http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2009/6/9/5902123
(although that user is running RHEL rather than Debian, so it does look
like a kernel issue).

Anyone else seen this and, more importantly, found a way around it?

Thanks,
Keith

Old 12-17-2009, 05:59 PM
Seth Mattinen

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> We're setting up a number of these servers and we're having problems with
> the NIC locking up. It retains its IP address, but the 'dropped' count
> keeps increasing and no network traffic flows over the connection.
> ifdown/ifup on the interface fixes the problem.
>
> We've tried downloading, compiling and using the tg3 driver from the
> Broadcom website, but that's made no difference.
>
> I've found a couple of other references to problems similar to this, most
> notably http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-netdev/2009/6/9/5902123
> (although that user is running RHEL rather than Debian, so it does look
> like a kernel issue).
>
> Anyone else seen this and, more importantly, found a way around it?

Are you seeing "tx hang" messages from the kernel? I get this on Dells
with the e1000 driver.

~Seth

Old 12-17-2009, 06:25 PM
"Christopher Davis"

Greetings Keith,

[snip]

Are you using a Dell switch as an uplink? With many of the
Dell switches I placed in service I found issues where the
link dropped from full duplex to half. To resolve this I
manually set the port speed and duplex; however links then
began to flap and then decommissioning that particular
switchgear as the only other method to resolve was giving
the switch a hard kick when issues only affected a small
number of ports -- OS independent.

What type of link - 10/100 or 10/100/1000? If the link is
10/100 I've had success manually brining the connection to
100/Full Duplex with mii-tool (check capabilities with
'mii-tool -v' can set using eth0 as your interface 'mii-tool
-F 100baseTx-FD eth0'). With a gig link however I have
found more stability with ethtool (using eth0 again:
'ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off'). The
switch ports might have to be changed from autosense to
specified speed/duplex also depending on your environment.

Can you post information from the switch port -- interface
status; and information from the server - 'ethtool eth0 &&
ethtool -S eth0' // 'mii-tool -v'

Bests,
Christopher Davis

Old 12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Keith Edmunds

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:59:31 -0800, sethm@rollernet.us said:

> Are you seeing "tx hang" messages from the kernel? I get this on Dells
> with the e1000 driver.

No, nothing in the logs save for the fact that heartbeat reports eth0 down.

Old 12-19-2009, 11:23 AM
Keith Edmunds

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 14:25:42 -0500, chris@lifewithchris.com said:

> Are you using a Dell switch as an uplink?

No, it's a Netgear switch, although we're testing this currently using an
unmanaged switch.

We've just installed the 2.6.30.2 kernel from backports, which -
interestingly - requires firmware for the tg3, which the regular Lenny
kernel (2.6.26) does not. The required firmware is in the 'firmware-linux'
package in Squeeze (but not in the backports version of that package at
the time of writing). We need to do some more work before we can test
(rebuilding drbd modules, etc), but I'll report back here with findings.

> Can you post information from the switch port -- interface
> status; and information from the server - 'ethtool eth0 &&
> ethtool -S eth0' // 'mii-tool -v'

No re switch - see above. If we still have the problem with the later
kernel, I'll get the statistics from ethtool.

Thanks for the suggestions -

Keith