Old 12-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Oliver

Default setting up my own dyndns like server

festive greetings to all,

I have started a new project and need some guidance

what I have
I have a fixed ip address on my main web/mail server linked into the
exchange behind a large isp providers network

I also have a web/mail server running behind an adsl network using dyndns

now what I wont

I wont to use my own server in place of dyndns so that I can register a
local domain that will be pointed to
my adsl server as our adsl line goes up and down like a yo yo and dyndns
keeps on black listing my domain

can any one suggest a course of action for me to take from here

To all a great new year
and may 2008 bring you lots and lots of riches

regards
oliver

Old 12-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Hi Oliver,

in case you want something simple, homebrewn:
* apt-get install pdns-backend-mysql (or sqlite etc)
* Set up your domain in the domains and records tables (ttl as low as
required)
* Make sure no firewall blocks port 53
* Test it using "host -a yourdyndomain.net
your-freshly-setup-nameserver.org"
* Quick-hack a
http://dyndns.mydomain.org/[scriptinglanguage-of-your-choice].html
script to fetch a DNS update request via http
* Update the required a-record in your SQL database from "REMOTE_ADDR"
or the IP address passed in the request.
* Make sure you have some sort of authentication so not every one will
update your records at will ;-)

Cheers,
Norbert.