Old 12-14-2007, 08:57 AM
"Tirla Adrian"

Default large campus network ... sugestions

Hello,

I`m currently one of the network administrators of a 3000+ students
and i have some issues maintaining security, authentication ... and
quality of service ...

Currently we're having 16 buildings each with its own network server
which does proxy caching (due to limited Internet Bandwidth) and NAT
for other services. Our network bandwidth is 20 Mbit (up to 150 Mbit
shared with the University), so the ISP suggested (actually demanded)
to allow only access to some services like http, https, smtp, pop3 and
to limit all others. Due to some network attacks it is required to
have network authentication which currently is made via MAC+IP (which
to me it looks very unhealthy due to spoofs). Each building has an
Ethernet network with unmanaged switches directly connected to 1
server.

I'm interested in a better authentication method than registering all
the MACs+IPs of all my users (which after all is just dust in the wind
...) using my current hardware (16 servers, 1 for at least 250
clients). I was thinking about ppp based authentication but it doesn't
look very scalable and secure ... am I wrong ?

Also due to the fact that my ISP doesn't agree with opening all ports
and traffic shaping due to possible attacks, most of my clients are
using tunneling methods like "your freedom" and "surf no limit", which
currently produce a high CPU usage on all the servers due to the
CONNECT method in the Squid Proxy Cache. Currently i just drop/traffic
shape the tunneled P2P traffic via ipp2p/l7-filter module of iptables.
I still believe that opening all ports and traffic shape them would be
the only solution ... but this would impose a high network security
... so i`m back to point 1 ... suggestions ?!

Thanks,
Adrian TIRLA

Old 12-15-2007, 10:00 PM
"Wojciech Ziniewicz"

2007/12/14, Tirla Adrian <tirlaadi@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> I`m currently one of the network administrators of a 3000+ students
> and i have some issues maintaining security, authentication ... and
> quality of service ...
[...]

I brought similar but "client" networks to life (so the network were
more demanding -> clients!=students ).

Not going into details I would use pppoe tunneling with radius authentication.
Radius can be easily managed by an external aplication and I believe
that it's scalability will let you connect it to the squid and so on.

Everything is VERY simple unless You start to migrate - I would
suggest You to build own simple app (C, C# ,java or something - ask
programmers at your campus ) to build such app that it will create
a ppppoe connection under windows. Making scripts to notify everyone
that they have to use authentication/give U their macaddr is only a
routing here.

And - NO - pppoe is NOT unstable . I know DOZENS of success stories
with NO (i repeat - NO ) problems

regards

--
Wojciech Ziniewicz
Unix SEX :{look;gawk;find;sed;talk;grep;touch;finger;find;f l

Old 12-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007, Wojciech Ziniewicz wrote:
> Not going into details I would use pppoe tunneling with radius authentication.

PPPOE is the enemy of multicast. I would not recommend using it anywhere
you might need multicast distribution of heavy streams, like audio or video.

Henrique Holschuh