Old 08-25-2008, 10:00 PM
"Ing. Otto Marroquin"

Default Jabber Server Selection

Hi people,

We are about to install a Jabber server. We have chosen ejabberd.
The factors we judge were:
1. Stardards compliant
2. Community Support
3. Proven interoperatibility among the major IM servers (MSN, Yahoo,
Google Talk)
4. Virtual host support (because we are planning to use it for several
clients).

5. Easy and secure web administration.

Have somebody installed a Jabber Server recently ?
What do you think about our selection ?

Old 08-28-2008, 06:49 AM
Nate Duehr

We are about to install a Jabber server. We have chosen ejabberd.
The factors we judge were:
1. Stardards compliant

ASCII text and "wall" is a standard too. LOL. Standards change. It
won't matter in a year or two, maybe three at the most.

2. Community Support

So you're hoping someone else will fix your problems when they arise?

3. Proven interoperatibility among the major IM servers (MSN,
Yahoo, Google Talk)

Why not just use those then?

4. Virtual host support (because we are planning to use it for
several clients).

Anything can run on a virtual host that will run in the original OS.
Not sure what you're concerned about here.

5. Easy and secure web administration.

Finally, a real requirement!

Have somebody installed a Jabber Server recently ?

Not recently, but in the past.

What do you think about our selection ?

I think the criteria is weak. How about:

- Must meet our business goals of low cost, including time spent by IT
staff to install, upgrade, test and deploy. Must not cost more than X
number of man-hours and dollars to implement.
- Must have PROFESSIONAL support available. (Community support? Are
you running a business or a wishful-thinking IT shop?)
- Must also be loggable under any current corporate monitoring policy
we've already set forth. (Especially if you fall under HIPAA or other
financial-services rules for accounting and accountability of
electronic communications.
- Must be installable easily by any idiot if it gets messed up.
(Good installer. Self-service by end-users.)
- Must meet six-nines uptime requirements as all of our systems do by
policy we've already published internally. (You do have an uptime
policy, right?)
- Must be able to communicate with all key clients and customers (if
that's a requirement) and between all internal staff.
- Proven business need is documented in X document, showing the
company will make/save X number of dollars if we spend our time on
this project.

Those are just some examples of "must haves" -- other "want to haves"
are gravy.

Work on those business/IT goals a bit.

--
Nate Duehr
nate@natetech.com

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM
Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 28.08.08 00:49, Nate Duehr wrote:
> ASCII text and "wall" is a standard too. LOL. Standards change. It
> won't matter in a year or two, maybe three at the most.

it does matter now, all compliant clients should work with it. It's easier
(and better) to explain that client does not work, because it violates the
standard, than it does not work because it does not (but server does).

> >4. Virtual host support (because we are planning to use it for
> >several clients).
>
> Anything can run on a virtual host that will run in the original OS.

the virtual host means that the server supports virtual hosts by itself, not
that it can run in vserver oswhatever kind of virtual machine...

> Not sure what you're concerned about here.

So why are you commenting?

> >5. Easy and secure web administration.
>
> Finally, a real requirement!

funny, I'd be carefull just here. I prefer possibility of editing
configuration file, with optional web administration as a bonus

Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 PM
"Ing. Otto Marroquin"

Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

We are about to install a Jabber server. We have chosen ejabberd.
The factors we judge were:
1. Stardards compliant

ASCII text and "wall" is a standard too. LOL. Standards change. It
won't matter in a year or two, maybe three at the most.

it does matter now, all compliant clients should work with it. It's easier
(and better) to explain that client does not work, because it violates the
standard, than it does not work because it does not (but server does).

yeah ... maybe it was a simple requirement ... but we were concerned
about standards because we want that our clients can still used their
yahoo.com, msn and gmail contacts... Yes standards do change, but we still
need our server be compliant
4. Virtual host support (because we are planning to use it for
several clients).

Anything can run on a virtual host that will run in the original OS.

the virtual host means that the server supports virtual hosts by itself, not
that it can run in vserver oswhatever kind of virtual machine...

We were thinking only about supporting several domains. I saw the
configuration options and its very simple.

Not sure what you're concerned about here.

So why are you commenting?

5. Easy and secure web administration.

Finally, a real requirement!

funny, I'd be carefull just here. I prefer possibility of editing
configuration file, with optional web administration as a bonus

If we should pay support its O.K. We see community support as mutual help,
we are not hopping that every problem we have will be solved by the
community ...

Old 08-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Nate Duehr