Old 08-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Juha-Matti Tapio

Default bind9 ns1 and ns2 not authorative

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 03:47:42PM +0200, randall wrote:
> Stephen Gran wrote:
>>> i assumed it would not be necessary to manually add each new zone on each
>>> slave dns server, at least it does not make much sense in my reasoning,
>>> hope i'm not to wrong here
>> You are wrong here
> mmmmm.....at least i'm happy to find out then..
>
> anyway to automate this process? seems like a lot of manual work here.

One option is to use PowerDNS on the slave. It has the so called
supermaster feature where the slave can be configured to add
automatically any unknown zones for which a notify is received from a
trusted IP address.

--
Tmi Juha-Matti Tapio Puh/Tel. +358-50-5419230
Y-tunnus 1911527-0

Old 08-26-2008, 12:18 PM
Andy Smith

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 06:22:21PM +0300, Juha-Matti Tapio wrote:
> >> You are wrong here
> > mmmmm.....at least i'm happy to find out then..
> >
> > anyway to automate this process? seems like a lot of manual work here.
>
> One option is to use PowerDNS on the slave. It has the so called
> supermaster feature where the slave can be configured to add
> automatically any unknown zones for which a notify is received from a
> trusted IP address.

I would second this. I was just about to respond recommending it
when I got to the end of the thread and saw this recommendation.

A couple of minor niggles I have found with PowerDNS in supermaster
mode:

- The zone has to have the slave listed as an NS

- When zones are removed they will stay in the PowerDNS database

They are not hard to work around.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM
randall

Andy Smith wrote:

Hi,

[...]

i actually decided to try the script by marek podmaka and adjusted it a
little for use with smbind,
i'm sure that the part added by me (sed 'n;n;n;n;d;' |) to remove some
lines is not the cleanest way to do it but it does seem to work.
have this running now as a cronjob on NS2 but plan to have it called
from the smbind scripts on NS1 to run it the other way around when new
domains are created.

#!/bin/bash

tmpf='tmp-domains'$RANDOM
scp 123.123.123.123:/etc/smbind/smbind.conf /etc/bind/$tmpf
if [ ! -f /etc/bind/$tmpf ]; then
exit 1
fi
cp /etc/bind/smbind.conf /etc/bind/named.conf.domains.prev
sed 's/^zone ("[^"]*") .*$/zone 1 { type slave; file 1; masters {
123.123.123.123; }; };/g' /etc/bind/$tmpf |

sed 'n;n;n;n;d;' |
sed 'n;n;n;d;' |
sed 'n;n;d;' |
sed 'n;d;' |
sed 's/; file ([^/]*)/([^"]*)"; /; file 1_2"; /g'
>/etc/bind/smbind.conf

rm -f /etc/bind/$tmpf
diff /etc/bind/smbind.conf /etc/bind/named.conf.domains.prev >/dev/null
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then # files differ, reload bind
/etc/init.d/bind9 reload
fi