Old 08-02-2008, 11:36 PM
"Scott Edwards"

Default SATA drive reccomendations for reliablity (server use)

I have two servers that I will buy two to six drives a piece for
(each). I'm thinking 750gb is the sweet spot for storage prices.

I know everyone has had a drive go bad. I'm not interested in endless
stories of how yours was bad, how you lost your lifes work, or why
you'll never buy from vendor X just to spite them.

I'm looking for larger scale independent third party testing and
certification of SATA and SATA II drives released on the market,
geared for server use. I want to use this to make a comparison of
where price, performance, and reliablity make the best for our needs.

If any of the existing hardware matters, here is the hardware I am
considering for running XEN. I haven't decided if I will stick with
the etch kernel, or jump into a newer mainline release.

Supermicro 2021M-UR+V
Kingston KVR400D2D4R3K2/8G
Intel 4 port gigabit server adapter. EXPI9404PT
2 GHZ QC optron cpus

Regards,

Scott Edwards

Old 08-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Michael Loftis

Drives go bad. Some drives go bad sooner than others. In our experience
right now drives in teh 250-500GB range have a pretty high reliability if
they're perpendicular recording, 120-160 if your'e talking about linear
drives. Many manufacturers now make "Enterprise" editions of their drives
which (at least supposedly) have a much higher MTBF. Either due to higher
initial quality rating, or software/firmware differences that cause them to
be more cautious in how they write data.

I wouldn't go over 500GB for enterprise needs right now. Also, remember
that these large drives are relatively slow. The IOs/Gb and MB/s/Gb has
gone down drastically, not up. So if you've any sort of I/O intensive
application you might want too look at still smaller spindles, and more of
them (and yes, at an increased $/Gb, $/Gb is obviously NOT the only
measurement)

--On August 2, 2008 5:36:23 PM -0600 Scott Edwards <supadupa@gmail.com>
[...]

Modwest Operations Manager
Powerful, Affordable Web Hosting

Old 08-03-2008, 12:28 AM
"andrew holway"

We use the hitachi enterprise ones in compute cluster master nodes and
have found em to be pretty good.

I would advise having them in a raid 6 with hot spare on a 3ware
escalade controller.

We have hunderds in the wild on supermicro tin and they are pretty groovy.

ta

Andy

Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Frédéric VANNIÈRE