Old 07-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Paul van der Vlis

Default Xen support in Lenny?

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl schreef:
> Hi!
>
> Michael Banck schrieb:
>
> [ XEN status for Lenny ]
>
>> A paragraph in the next DPN discussing the relevant mailing list thread
>> looks in order to me though, anyway.
>
> I agree, that this would warrant a paragraph in the next DPN. However
> my knowledge about XEN is quite limited, so I would prefer someone else
> to write something up. Any volunteers for that?

My english is not very well, but I will try:

-------------
Lenny with limited Xen support

Lenny will have limited Xen support because the vanilla-kernel has only
32-bits domU (guest) support with PAE, and no dom0 (host) support. The
dom0 in Etch does not support PAE.
Pasi Kärkkäinen explained the situation [1] and Bastian Blank wrote an
article [2] about the options we have. His conclusion is to support an
2.6.18 kernel in Lenny, until Lenny+1/2 adds better Xen support.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg00475.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg00476.html
-----------

Realize that the article of Bastian gives only options, the conclusion
is his conclusion. Will this confuse people?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.

--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/

Old 07-29-2008, 03:49 PM
Paul van der Vlis

Sorry, I posted this article in the wrong group...

Paul van der Vlis schreef:
> Alexander Reichle-Schmehl schreef:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Michael Banck schrieb:
>>
>> [ XEN status for Lenny ]
>>
>>> A paragraph in the next DPN discussing the relevant mailing list thread
>>> looks in order to me though, anyway.
>> I agree, that this would warrant a paragraph in the next DPN. However
>> my knowledge about XEN is quite limited, so I would prefer someone else
>> to write something up. Any volunteers for that?
>
> My english is not very well, but I will try:
>
> -------------
> Lenny with limited Xen support
>
> Lenny will have limited Xen support because the vanilla-kernel has only
> 32-bits domU (guest) support with PAE, and no dom0 (host) support. The
> dom0 in Etch does not support PAE.
> Pasi Kärkkäinen explained the situation [1] and Bastian Blank wrote an
> article [2] about the options we have. His conclusion is to support an
> 2.6.18 kernel in Lenny, until Lenny+1/2 adds better Xen support.
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg00475.html
> [2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg00476.html
>
> Realize that the article of Bastian gives only options, the conclusion
> is his conclusion. Will this confuse people?
>
> With regards,
> Paul van der Vlis.

Met vriendelijke groet,
Paul van der Vlis.