FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian ISP

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Paul van der Vlis
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

ADORJÁNI Gábor schreef:
> Hi Paul,
>
>> I have a Supermicro PDSMi+ mainboard with an AOC-IPMI20-E IPMI card
>
> PDSMA+ here, with same card. Except for the kernel panic I mentioned in
> #455723, it works fine.
>
> (Haha, Debian "bug-patching": my primary e-mail address changed, a maintainer
> cannot write to me, so the bug is "closed" now. :I )

Maybe that's the reason that the vserver-xen-kernel did not work for me.
I did not have problems with the xen-kernel.

Did you try 2.6.18-6 ?

>> (with shared LAN). Trough IPMI I can see the bios and grub, I can see
>> the kernel starting, but I never get a shell...
>>
>> In /etc/inittab I have:
>> T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100
>>
>> In /boot/grub/menu.lst I have (on one line):
>> module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
>> console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8r
>>
>> Does somebody else have experience with this?
>
> The mentioned parameters on my host are:
>
> # grep ^is /etc/inittab
> is:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -f /etc/issue.serial 19200 ttyS1 vt100

I don't have an /etc/issue.serial. What is the content?

> # cat /proc/cmdline
> root=LABEL=root ro console=ttyS1,19200n8r console=tty0 vga=extended
> elevator=deadline
> #

My "cat /proc/cmdline" says:
root=/dev/md0 ro quiet console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8r

> Be sure to _NOT_ set up serial console for GRUB, because it won't work! Set it
> up in the BIOS and then let GRUB use the default BIOS screen access calls.

I have:
serial --unit=1 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=10 serial console

I have no problems with grub, but I can try it without these lines.

Thanks for you help.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.




--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM
ADORJÁNI Gábor
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

>>> I have a Supermicro PDSMi+ mainboard with an AOC-IPMI20-E IPMI card
>>
>> PDSMA+ here, with same card. Except for the kernel panic I mentioned in
>> #455723, it works fine.
>>
>> (Haha, Debian "bug-patching": my primary e-mail address changed, a
>> maintainer
>> cannot write to me, so the bug is "closed" now. :I )
>
> Maybe that's the reason that the vserver-xen-kernel did not work for me.
> I did not have problems with the xen-kernel.
>
> Did you try 2.6.18-6 ?

I don't remember. Presumably no, since it's a production machine and I cannot
reboot it for bug hunting.

>>> (with shared LAN). Trough IPMI I can see the bios and grub, I can see
>>> the kernel starting, but I never get a shell...
>>>
>>> In /etc/inittab I have:
>>> T1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS1 19200 vt100
>>>
>>> In /boot/grub/menu.lst I have (on one line):
>>> module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-xen-amd64 root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
>>> console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8r
>>>
>>> Does somebody else have experience with this?
>>
>> The mentioned parameters on my host are:
>>
>> # grep ^is /etc/inittab
>> is:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -f /etc/issue.serial 19200 ttyS1 vt100
>
> I don't have an /etc/issue.serial. What is the content?

Connected to
at  bps

Debian GNU/Linux 4.0
l

>> # cat /proc/cmdline
>> root=LABEL=root ro console=ttyS1,19200n8r console=tty0 vga=extended
>> elevator=deadline
>> #
>
> My "cat /proc/cmdline" says:
> root=/dev/md0 ro quiet console=tty0 console=ttyS1,19200n8r

It seems the same. I suppose the order of the 2 console parameters doesn't count.

>> Be sure to _NOT_ set up serial console for GRUB, because it won't work! Set
>> it
>> up in the BIOS and then let GRUB use the default BIOS screen access calls.
>
> I have:
> serial --unit=1 --speed=19200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
> terminal --timeout=10 serial console
>
> I have no problems with grub, but I can try it without these lines.

You don't need any of these parameters. Just leave GRUB alone, to use the BIOS
real-time interrupt calls to display everything. The BIOS will redirect all
the output to the IPMI/serial line as well.

Regards,

Gabor



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Paul van der Vlis
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

ADORJÁNI Gábor schreef:

> The mentioned parameters on my host are:
>
> # grep ^is /etc/inittab
> is:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -f /etc/issue.serial 19200 ttyS1 vt100
> # cat /proc/cmdline
> root=LABEL=root ro console=ttyS1,19200n8r console=tty0 vga=extended
> elevator=deadline
> #
>
> Be sure to _NOT_ set up serial console for GRUB, because it won't work! Set it
> up in the BIOS and then let GRUB use the default BIOS screen access calls.

Supermicro-support told me to use the latest beta-firmware for the IPMI
card. This firmware is difficult to install without Windows (I don't
have Windows). Do you use this beta-firmware for the IPMI?

Which terminal-emulation do you use in the bios?

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.




--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 12:09 PM
ADORJÁNI Gábor
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

>> # grep ^is /etc/inittab
>> is:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -f /etc/issue.serial 19200 ttyS1 vt100
>> # cat /proc/cmdline
>> root=LABEL=root ro console=ttyS1,19200n8r console=tty0 vga=extended
>> elevator=deadline
>> #
>>
>> Be sure to _NOT_ set up serial console for GRUB, because it won't work! Set
>> it
>> up in the BIOS and then let GRUB use the default BIOS screen access calls.
>
> Supermicro-support told me to use the latest beta-firmware for the IPMI
> card. This firmware is difficult to install without Windows (I don't
> have Windows). Do you use this beta-firmware for the IPMI?

I don't know what version I use. I flashed it several months ago, when the
server was set up, and then I forgot it. There is a file left beside the flash
utilities called ugsim1253.bin. I probably used this one for flashing, but I'm
not sure.

However, I could paste here the output of "ipmitool bmc info":

Device ID : 32
Device Revision : 0
Firmware Revision : 2.5
IPMI Version : 2.0
Manufacturer ID : 5593
Manufacturer Name : Unknown (0x15d9)
Product ID : 4404 (0x1134)
Device Available : yes
Provides Device SDRs : no
Additional Device Support :
Sensor Device
SDR Repository Device
SEL Device
FRU Inventory Device
IPMB Event Receiver
IPMB Event Generator
Bridge
Aux Firmware Rev Info :
0x00
0x00
0x00
0x00

BTW, you don't need Windows for flashing the BMC. There's a utility for Linux
as well, both in 32/64 bit versions. I used the latter one to do the flashing.

> Which terminal-emulation do you use in the bios?

I don't remember, sorry.

Regards,

Gabor



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Paul van der Vlis
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

ADORJÁNI Gábor schreef:
>>> # grep ^is /etc/inittab
>>> is:12345:respawn:/sbin/getty -f /etc/issue.serial 19200 ttyS1 vt100
>>> # cat /proc/cmdline
>>> root=LABEL=root ro console=ttyS1,19200n8r console=tty0 vga=extended
>>> elevator=deadline
>>> #
>>>
>>> Be sure to _NOT_ set up serial console for GRUB, because it won't work! Set
>>> it
>>> up in the BIOS and then let GRUB use the default BIOS screen access calls.
>> Supermicro-support told me to use the latest beta-firmware for the IPMI
>> card. This firmware is difficult to install without Windows (I don't
>> have Windows). Do you use this beta-firmware for the IPMI?
>
> I don't know what version I use. I flashed it several months ago, when the
> server was set up, and then I forgot it. There is a file left beside the flash
> utilities called ugsim1253.bin. I probably used this one for flashing, but I'm
> not sure.
>
> However, I could paste here the output of "ipmitool bmc info":
>
> Device ID : 32
> Device Revision : 0
> Firmware Revision : 2.5
> IPMI Version : 2.0
> Manufacturer ID : 5593
> Manufacturer Name : Unknown (0x15d9)
> Product ID : 4404 (0x1134)
> Device Available : yes
> Provides Device SDRs : no
> Additional Device Support :
> Sensor Device
> SDR Repository Device
> SEL Device
> FRU Inventory Device
> IPMB Event Receiver
> IPMB Event Generator
> Bridge
> Aux Firmware Rev Info :
> 0x00
> 0x00
> 0x00
> 0x00

My firmware-revision is 2.3, so I expect you are using the beta-version.

> BTW, you don't need Windows for flashing the BMC. There's a utility for Linux
> as well, both in 32/64 bit versions. I used the latter one to do the flashing.

After long searching I found something like that, but I am not sure it
is correct for my card:
ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.12_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit
This is the only place where I found the file ugsim1253.bin:
http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/pub/mirror/supermicro/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.10_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit.0.0.html

Do you use the kernel driver or the GPC-agent? (I don't use them,
because I don't like close-source on my server)

Thanks for your help!

Met vriendelijke groet,
Paul van der Vlis.




--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
ADORJÁNI Gábor
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>> However, I could paste here the output of "ipmitool bmc info":
>>
(...)
>> Firmware Revision : 2.5
(...)
> My firmware-revision is 2.3, so I expect you are using the beta-version.

Maybe yes, I don't remember.

>> BTW, you don't need Windows for flashing the BMC. There's a utility for Linux
>> as well, both in 32/64 bit versions. I used the latter one to do the flashing.
>
> After long searching I found something like that, but I am not sure it
> is correct for my card:
> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.12_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit

That's probably a newer version than the one I used:

# ./updatefw.x86_64
updatefw.x86_64 version 1.1 (build 0609071)

Usage: updatefw.x86_64 -f [Firmware File]
updatefw.x86_64 -i [IP Address] -u [Usr] -p [Pwd] -f [Firmware File]
e.g. updatefw.x86_64 -f newfw.bin
updatefw.x86_64 -i 192.168.1.23 -u ADMIN -p ADMIN -f newfw.bin
#

> This is the only place where I found the file ugsim1253.bin:
> http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/pub/mirror/supermicro/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.10_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit.0.0.html
>
> Do you use the kernel driver or the GPC-agent? (I don't use them,
> because I don't like close-source on my server)

Neither do I, at least in kernel space. I used the kernel's standard IPMI
interface.

AFAIR the difference between the ubsim* and ugsim* versions are that the
latter one can also speak encrypted IPMI. But Supermicro docs/FAQ tells this
exactly, don't rely on my vague memory.

Gabor
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Paul van der Vlis
 
Default Supermicro IPMI and shell

ADORJÁNI Gábor schreef:
> Paul van der Vlis wrote:
>>> However, I could paste here the output of "ipmitool bmc info":
>>>
> (...)
>>> Firmware Revision : 2.5
> (...)
>> My firmware-revision is 2.3, so I expect you are using the beta-version.
>
> Maybe yes, I don't remember.
>
>>> BTW, you don't need Windows for flashing the BMC. There's a utility for Linux
>>> as well, both in 32/64 bit versions. I used the latter one to do the flashing.
>> After long searching I found something like that, but I am not sure it
>> is correct for my card:
>> ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.12_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit
>
> That's probably a newer version than the one I used:
>
> # ./updatefw.x86_64
> updatefw.x86_64 version 1.1 (build 0609071)
>
> Usage: updatefw.x86_64 -f [Firmware File]
> updatefw.x86_64 -i [IP Address] -u [Usr] -p [Pwd] -f [Firmware File]
> e.g. updatefw.x86_64 -f newfw.bin
> updatefw.x86_64 -i 192.168.1.23 -u ADMIN -p ADMIN -f newfw.bin
> #
>
>> This is the only place where I found the file ugsim1253.bin:
>> http://www.filewatcher.com/b/ftp/ftp.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/pub/mirror/supermicro/CDR-SIMIPMI_1.10_for_SIM_IPMI/IPMI_Solution/Utility/linux_flash_utility_64bit.0.0.html
>>
>> Do you use the kernel driver or the GPC-agent? (I don't use them,
>> because I don't like close-source on my server)
>
> Neither do I, at least in kernel space. I used the kernel's standard IPMI
> interface.
>
> AFAIR the difference between the ubsim* and ugsim* versions are that the
> latter one can also speak encrypted IPMI. But Supermicro docs/FAQ tells this
> exactly, don't rely on my vague memory.

The AOC-IPMI20-E is not a sim-card. And on the simipmi-CD I cannot find
a manual for the AOC-IPMI20-E.

I asked Supermicro-support, and they told me that I really cannot use
the updatefw.x86_64-tool with this IPMI-card. They made a diskette-image
for me (with Windows) and send me the image...

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.




--
http://www.vandervlis.nl/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-isp-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:57 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org