-   -   suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-isp/123227-suddenly-boot-problems-unable-mount-root-fs.html)

W4/Webmaster 07-11-2008 06:12 PM

suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

hi,
a server which was running for two years now without any problems
doesn't boot anymore after energy-problem. crashed down, because usv was
defekt.

first i thought, the harddisk is bad. starting the server with a live-cd
(knoppix) works. fsck of the two partitions hda1 (root) and hda3 (data)
said clean.

i i try to boot the system, i get the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
unknown-block (3,1)

startscripts in /etc/rc... can not be executed.

the harddrive is the master on the first ide - channel. dvd-drive is
master at the second ide-channel. ide-drivers are built in the kernel
(no module).

in my opinion, the system tries to start from the dvd-drive -> (3,1). so
i thought, i am very clever and changed hdd and dvd. if i try to boot
with the devices changed, i get the folowing error ->

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
unknown-block (0,0)

nice, it tries to start again from / on dvd. we didn't change anything
on this machine. no updates, installations, ... it is just running in an
intranet as a local server.

is here anybody who can help me or has any idea how to get this system
wirking again? by the way - it is debian sarge.

thx for any idea and/or hint for a solution!

jens

--
W4/Webmaster
webmaster@w-4.de

Christof Glaser 07-11-2008 07:06 PM

suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

Hi Jens,

a server which was running for two years now without any problems
doesn't boot anymore after energy-problem. crashed down, because usv
was defekt.

first i thought, the harddisk is bad. starting the server with a
live-cd (knoppix) works. fsck of the two partitions hda1 (root) and
hda3 (data) said clean.

i i try to boot the system, i get the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown-
block (3,1)

Looks like the bootloader is misconfigured.

To fix, just boot from Live-CD, mount the disk, chroot into it and
check the bootloader's settings.

Or, at a boot command line, add root=/dev/hda1 to the parameters, or
in grub: root (hd0,0).

startscripts in /etc/rc... can not be executed.

Do you mean you can't run them when booting from cd?

the harddrive is the master on the first ide - channel. dvd-drive is
master at the second ide-channel. ide-drivers are built in the
kernel (no module).

in my opinion, the system tries to start from the dvd-drive ->
(3,1). so i thought, i am very clever and changed hdd and dvd. if i
try to boot with the devices changed, i get the folowing error ->

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on unknown-
block (0,0)

I'm not so sure what these numbers really mean: why did it change to
(0,0) and not (0,1), when it was (3,1) in the first place?

nice, it tries to start again from / on dvd. we didn't change
anything on this machine. no updates, installations, ... it is just
running in an intranet as a local server.

is here anybody who can help me or has any idea how to get this
system wirking again? by the way - it is debian sarge.

thx for any idea and/or hint for a solution!

jens

Hope that helps a bit.

Best regards,

Christof Glaser
--
-- gl.aser -- software & gestaltung . http://gl.aser.de/

W4/Webmaster 07-12-2008 08:52 AM

suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

hi christoph and thanks for your response! my answers between your lines ...

Hi Jens,

a server which was running for two years now without any problems
doesn't boot anymore after energy-problem. crashed down, because usv
was defekt.

first i thought, the harddisk is bad. starting the server with a
live-cd (knoppix) works. fsck of the two partitions hda1 (root) and
hda3 (data) said clean.

i i try to boot the system, i get the following error:

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
unknown-block (3,1)

Looks like the bootloader is misconfigured.

i dont think so. it looks pretty good and nothing changed!

To fix, just boot from Live-CD, mount the disk, chroot into it and check
the bootloader's settings.

yes, i did. no changes since installation and no changes since fallout.

Or, at a boot command line, add root=/dev/hda1 to the parameters, or in
grub: root (hd0,0).

i did both things you proposed. no changes, same error message when booting!

startscripts in /etc/rc... can not be executed.

Do you mean you can't run them when booting from cd?

yes, it works! but only if i boot from cd and mount manually this two
partitions. i dpnt know for sure - but in my opinon it tries to start
this from cd/dvd. and there is not the root fs!? :(

the harddrive is the master on the first ide - channel. dvd-drive is
master at the second ide-channel. ide-drivers are built in the kernel
(no module).

in my opinion, the system tries to start from the dvd-drive -> (3,1).
so i thought, i am very clever and changed hdd and dvd. if i try to
boot with the devices changed, i get the folowing error ->

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
unknown-block (0,0)

I'm not so sure what these numbers really mean: why did it change to
(0,0) and not (0,1), when it was (3,1) in the first place?

i really dont know! thats one of the questions - but the only sensefull
response for me ;) i think - but i dont know for sure. maybe here is
anybody who can explain?!

nice, it tries to start again from / on dvd. we didn't change anything
on this machine. no updates, installations, ... it is just running in
an intranet as a local server.

is here anybody who can help me or has any idea how to get this system
wirking again? by the way - it is debian sarge.

thx for any idea and/or hint for a solution!

jens

Hope that helps a bit.

thank you for your response, chris. but sorry, i tried all of your ideas
and nothing did help!

so guys ... further ... if anybody has an idea - please let me know! ;)

cheers

jens

Best regards,

Christof Glaser

--
W4/Webmaster
webmaster@w-4.de

Matt Ryan 07-12-2008 11:29 AM

suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

I think I had a similar problem in the past - unfortunately I don't
recall the exact details. IIRC, I had updated a number of packages (udev
in particular I think) but hadn't rebooted the box. When I did
eventually reboot it didn't work. What I tracked it down to was that the
Debian installer had marked my partition as LVM (maybe I experimented
with this option when partitioning) even though it was ext3. I think I
used the pvremove command to get rid of the LVM partition type but I
would be careful before using this as it may destroy your data. Anyway,
the vol_id command will tell you if this is the case.

Matt.

Diego Rodriguez 07-14-2008 07:45 AM

suddenly boot problems - unable to mount root FS

Seems like a damaged initrd file.

boot with install CD, go to console #2 (alt-f2),
1.- mkdir /target
2.- mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /target
3.- chroot /target
4.- mount -t proc proc proc
5.- dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-`uname -r`
6.- lilo -v or update-grub depending on which bootloader (lilo or grub)
you are using.
7.- reboot

If you don't get it to boot, repeat the procedure, check which initrd
builder package (initramfs-tools or yaird) you are using (dpkg
--get-selections | grep yaird) and install the other one (apt-get
install) just before step 5.

Good luck.

--
Diego Rodriguez