Old 06-11-2008, 11:58 AM
"Brian Schrock"

Default SAN solution wanted

The iscsi target is running on top of drbd. We use the cluster software to migrate between the machines for mtce. and hopefully to ward off downtime from failures. But, yes, it is just the iscsitarget debian packages running on a server with huge storage space.

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Christian Kujau <lists@nerdbynature.de> wrote:

On Wed, June 11, 2008 04:11, Brian Schrock wrote:

> Ummmm. we use...

> Debian lenny

debian/sid here

> software raid drbd HA cluster software

Proven and stable, OK.

> nfs/ext3 and iscsi

Which (not so expensive) appliance is providing iSCSI? Or did you create a

software iSCSI target on just another server with lots of disks in it?

Thanks,

C.

--

make bzImage, not war

Brian J. Schrock
Systems Engineer, IntegraLink
The Cobalt Group, Inc.
4635 Trueman Blvd, Suite 100
Hilliard, OH 43026
bschrock@integralink.com

www.integralink.com
p. 614.324.7800 ext. 3295

Old 06-11-2008, 03:30 PM
George Borisov

Héctor González wrote:

I've had good experience with HP's MSA1000 SAN arrays, they work nicely
with Linux, you can manage them through the serial port, and drive-host
assignment is easy with ACLs

We tried the MSA1000 at one of the companies I worked for and ended up
getting rid of it. It had (at least at the time) rather old and rubbish
controller cards that had abysmally low bandwidth (not the NICs, but the
actual SAN controller head-units). We only had 3-4 servers hooked up to
them and performance was awful.

I found out about the controller problem by digging through the HP
support forum.

I usually drink the HP Cool-Aid, but that experience was one of the few
disappointing ones. :-(

George.